1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Module theory] Prove that something forms a left R module.

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that R and S are two rings, M, is a (R-S) bi-module and N is a left R-module. Show that [itex] M \otimes N [/itex] has the structure of a left S-module.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, [itex] M\otimes N [/itex] is an Abelian group, so it's enough that I define a scalar product on [itex] M\otimes N [/itex]. I'm thinking of defining:
    [itex] s.\sum_{i=1}^t{x_i\otimes y_i} = \sum_{i=1}^t{sx_i\otimes y_i} [/itex]
    Now I'm a bit clueless about how I should show that this scalar multiplication is well-defined. I know that I should suppose [itex] \sum_{i=1}^t{x_i\otimes y_i} = \sum_{i=1}^{t'}{x'_i\otimes y'_i} [/itex] and then show that [itex] \sum_{i=1}^t{sx_i\otimes y_i} = \sum_{i=1}^{t'}{sx'_i\otimes y'_i} [/itex] but I don't know how I should do that. I'm looking for a nice map from [itex]F[/itex] to [itex]F/K = M\otimes N[/itex] that does the trick but nothing good comes to my mind now. Any ideas would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?