1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulo a prime

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show the equation x^3 + 2y^3 =5 has no solution for x,y in Z, by considering it modulo a prime

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help starting this problem, I've been stuck on it for a while and don't even have a clue of how to start it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When it says "modulo a prime" it does not mean you must prove it has no solutions modulo any prime. Just try a convenient prime. In particular, consider this modulo 5: it reduces to x3+ 2y[/sup]3[/sup]= 0. You could just do the calculations for all 25 pairs from (0,0) to (4,4) but I think you can just note that x3 and 2y3 are additive inverses. The additive inverse of 1 is 4 and the additive inverse of 2 is 3. Can one be x3 and the other 2y3? Of course, x= y= 0 does solve this equation (modulo 5) which tells you that any solution to the original equation must involve only multiples of 5.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?