1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulo arithmetic

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I've stumbled across an arithmetic problem that's getting the better of me, so I need your help!

I have a constant set of integers [itex][m,n], m>0, m\neq n[/itex] and a variable integer k>0. If we multiply k by successively increasing positive integers t, we will eventually get kt > m. Now, what I want is the output to be kt if [itex]kt \in [m,n][/itex] and n if [itex]kt>n[/itex].

So for example, let's consider m = 45, n = 50 and k = 8.

We get the sequence 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48

At this point, we have a value larger or equal to m=45, and 48 < n=50 so the output is 48.

For k=11 we have
    11, 22, 33, 44, 55

Since we now have a value larger than m, but the value is also larger than n, the output needs to be n=50.

So finally, my question is, can I create a function that isn't piecewise that defines this process? The piecewise function wasn't such a big deal,

$$
    f(k,m,n) =
    \begin{cases}
    \Big\lceil \frac{m}{k} \Big\rceil k, & \text{if}\hspace{5 mm} \Big\lceil \frac{m}{k} \Big\rceil k < n \\ \\
    n, & \text{if}\hspace{5 mm} \Big\lceil \frac{m}{k} \Big\rceil k \geq n
    \end{cases}
    $$

But I can't figure out how to produce a non-piecewise function.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

[m,n] means the interval from m to n?

So t is the smallest integer t such that kt >=m?

You can implement min(a,b) (the smaller value of a and b) as (|a+b|-|a-b|)/2, I think that should help.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes and yes. Sorry, I should have been more clear when defining my variables.

That's perfect! Thanks mfb.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Now a method to implement absolute value that isn't piecewise would be needed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  6. Sep 9, 2013 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Good point, but this problem was actually for a computing project of mine and since the abs(x) function already exists as a library function, its piecewise definition isn't an issue.

7. Sep 9, 2013 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

For 32 bit signed two complement integers, and assuming the compiler does an arithmetic right shifts:

#define abs(a) ((a^(a>>31))+((a>>31)&1))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted