Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulo sum of random variables

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    If X is uniformly distributed over [0,a), and Y is independent, then X + Y (mod a) is uniformly distributed over [0,a), independent of the distribution of Y.

Can anyone point me to a statistics text that shows this?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider any possible value from Y. Since X and Y are independent, X + that value is uniformly distributed mod a. Now since this is true for any value, it is true for any combination of values.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know of a text, but the proof is simple enough. Let Y=y, then X+y (mod a) is uniformly distributed, since X is independent of Y. Therefore the theorem holds irrespective of the distribution of Y.

5. Sep 3, 2010 #4
    Thanks for both your replies!

At first, me (and my collegues) found this result somewhat counter-intuitive. It seems that you do not, but you most likely you have a deeper intuition.

Meanwhile, I also found the following paper which is interesting in this context:
    The Distribution Functions of Random Variables in Arithmetic Domains Modulo a
    P. Scheinok
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/2310973

It seems that the theorem from my first post follows from 3.3, with g_Y()=1/a.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Sep 3, 2010 #5
    Hi all,

I have a quick additional question.

A colleague pointed out to me that the cited paper only proves the theorem from my first post in the case that Y is defined over [0,a].

However, the random variables (X + Y) mod a and (X + (Y mod a)) mod a have the same distribution, so the original theorem should hold, no?

Thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook