1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulos raised to phi

1. Jul 5, 2004 #1
    hi, it's me again, i only have 3 tiny questions then i am done asking, i hope!

i need to show that if gcd(a,n)=(a-1,n)=1, then 1+a+[tex]a^2[/tex]...+a^[tex]\phi^n^-^1\equiv[/tex]0 mod n

show (m,n)=1 then m[tex]^\phi^n+n^\phi^m\equiv[/tex] 1 mod (mn)

show if m and k are positive integers then [tex]\phi[/tex](^k)=m^k-1[tex]\phi[/tex](m)

what i know so far: the second one can use fermat's little theroem correct? if a==0 mod b and b==0 mod a then => ab==0 mod(ab)

the third one is just playing with my brain, i honestly do not know anywhere to start it.

the first question says what a,n are relatively prime, and a-1,n are also relatively prime. so, if any a raised to a power, that a is == to 0, mod n. can anyone give me a "hint"?

thank you!! p.s. does my LaTeX look good? feel free to tell me and all.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2004 #2
    can anyone help me with these? i honestly have no idea how to start any of them... i just need a little "boost"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?