1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulus and inequalities

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I've got

[tex] |a|^{2} = |a - b + b|^{2} [/tex]

What can I do with this guy? Usually when the square isn't there I use the triangle inequality and things fall out pretty quick, for example,

[tex] |a| = |a - b + b| \leq |a-b| + |b| [/tex]

Is there something like that I can do with the orginial guy?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Well, |a - b + b|2 = |a|2

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you looking for?

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    I know a property concerning |a-b|2 (it's less than some epsilon) and I know what |b|2 is, so, if I can break this down into an inequality, I can say something about |a|2. Does that make sense? this is part of a bigger problem concerning metric spaces.

6. Mar 31, 2010 #5
    Are you looking for something like this?

[tex]\left|a\right|^2=\left|a^2\right|=\left|a^2-b^2+b^2\right|\leq\left|a^2-b^2\right|+\left|b^2\right|[/tex]

Now, if [itex]\left|a^2-b^2\right|\leq\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\left|b^2\right|\leq\epsilon[/itex], then [itex]\left|a\right|^2\leq 2\epsilon[/itex]

7. Mar 31, 2010 #6
    No, my a is a function in C[0,1] so that statement may not be true. I'm looking for a way to massage out that to which I responded to mathman.

8. Mar 31, 2010 #7
    Well, my guess is that you are working with the sup norm, and want to prove something related to uniform convergence, but I think you must give more details. After all, you stated that you had information about |a2-b2|, |b2| and needed to relate these to |a2|. Given only this, I can't add anything else.

9. Mar 31, 2010 #8
    I have

[tex]|f_{n}(t)-f(t)|^{2} \leq\epsilon [/tex]

and [tex] |f_{n}(t)|^{2} \leq 1 [/tex]

I wish to show

[tex] |f(t)|^{2} \leq 1 [/tex]

as well.

As much as I'd like to, I cannot say

[tex] |f(t)|^{2} = |f(t) - f_{n} (t) + f_{n} (t)|^{2} \leq |f_{n}(t) - f(t)|^{2} + |f_{n}(t)|^{2} [/tex]

10. Mar 31, 2010 #9
    No, but you can say:

[tex]
    |f(t)|^{2} = |f(t) - f_{n} (t) + f_{n} (t)|^{2} \leq |f_{n}(t) - f(t)|^{2} +2|f_{n} (t)||f_{n}(t) - f(t)|+ |f_{n}(t)|^{2}
    [/tex]

And you know how to estimate all terms on the right; just keep in mind that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is arbitrarily small (or at least I think it is).

11. Mar 31, 2010 #10
    I see you just expanded it...I didn't know you could do that inside absolute value.

12. Mar 31, 2010 #11
    It's just one of those Analysis tricks. After doing a fair number of these proofs, you start to spot them more rapidly.:smile:

13. Mar 31, 2010 #12
    Well thank you so much! And yes, you are right, it did begin with the sup norm.

14. Mar 31, 2010 #13
    Glad to help.:wink:

15. Apr 1, 2010 #14

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you expand the square of the sum or difference of two terms, you get two squares and a product. Taking absolute values for each term can only make the sum of the three terms bigger.

16. Apr 1, 2010 #15
    or

[tex] |f_n(t) - f(t)|^2 \leq \epsilon \implies [/tex]
    [tex] |f_n(t) - f(t)| \leq \epsilon' \implies [/tex] by reverse triangle inequality
    [tex] |f(t)| - |f_n(t)| \leq \epsilon' \implies [/tex]
    [tex] |f(t)| \leq 1 + \epsilon' \implies [/tex]
    [tex] |f(t)|^2 \leq 1 [/tex]

edit: this is true for one n if the OP's statements still hold. as in if [itex] |f_n(t) - f(t) | \leq \epsilon [/itex] for all epsilon without incrementing n.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook