Aluminum 6061 Modulus of Elasticity

In summary, the speaker is conducting a lab experiment to test the strength of three different Aluminum 6061 specimens. Each specimen will be clamped and loaded to observe bending stresses. The goal is to determine which specimen has the highest strength and calculate the E modulus. The speaker is concerned about verifying the accuracy of their modulus and clarifies that Young's modulus is a material property and does not depend on the shape or size of the specimen. They plan to calculate the E modulus for each specimen and compare it to the known value of 69 GPa.
Aaron5380
Bare with me as I'm brand new to all of this, and my inexperience may show, but i have what may be a simple question to some of you. I'm conducting a lab experiment in my Materials lab I will be testing the the strength of 3 different Aluminum 6061 specimens. I have an L beam, thin walled cylinder (tube), and a box beam. Each specimen will be clamped to a table and will have a load applied so we can observe bending stresses with a strain gauge and a Tunis Olsen indicator box. The whole point is to determine which specimen has the highest strength when load is applied. From the data, I should be able to calculate the E modulus, or get it from a stress/strain plot. My concern is, how will I be able to verify my modulus is accurate when I've completed the experiment? Do I just compare my data to 69 GPa or does the shape of the specimen have any factor in what the actual E mod. is? I guess to better phrase the question, is the E mod. for a material independent of shape and size? Is it a fixed value for a specific material regardless of specimens shape?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Young's modulus for a particular material does not depend on the shape or size of the specimen. It is a material property, meaning that it depends on the material, the chemical composition, but that is all.

Thank you! So, when I'm done with the experiment, I'll calculate the E mod for each specimen, as well as plot them on a stress vs strain graph and use the slope as my result. I believe the actual E mod. for Aluminum 6061 is 69 GPa, but that I can look up in my book to double check. Again, thanks a bunch!

What is the definition of Modulus of Elasticity?

The Modulus of Elasticity, also known as Young's Modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when subjected to an external force. It is the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (ratio of change in length to original length) in a material.

What is the Modulus of Elasticity of Aluminum 6061?

The Modulus of Elasticity of Aluminum 6061 is approximately 68.9 GPa (10,000,000 psi).

How does the Modulus of Elasticity of Aluminum 6061 compare to other materials?

Aluminum 6061 has a higher Modulus of Elasticity than materials like steel, copper, and brass, but it is lower than materials like titanium and carbon fiber.

What factors can affect the Modulus of Elasticity of Aluminum 6061?

The Modulus of Elasticity of Aluminum 6061 can be affected by factors such as temperature, strain rate, and the presence of impurities or alloying elements.

Why is the Modulus of Elasticity important for engineering and design?

The Modulus of Elasticity is an important property to consider in engineering and design because it helps determine the strength and stiffness of a material. It also affects how a material will react to external forces and how much it will deform under stress, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and performance of structures and products.