1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulus of f(z)

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    For expressions like:

f(z) = (1+z2)/(1+z4) how does one write the modulus of that in terms of lzl?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi aaaa202! :smile:
    i don't really understand the question :redface:

how does one write eg the modulus of 1+z2 on its own in terms of lzl only ?? :confused:

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Well I want to find lf(z)l and show that lzllf(z)l goes to 0 as lzl goes to infinity. So wouldn't I need to write the function above in terms of lzl, multiply by lzl, and show that it goes to zero?

5. May 24, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in that case, write z = re :wink:

6. May 24, 2012 #5
    hmm yes okay. So in that case i would for instance get:

(1+lzl2ei2θ)/(1+lzl4ei4θ). But still that doesnt really give me the modulus for the whole expression?

7. May 24, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, so multiply by |z| and then let |z| -> ∞ …

what difference do the θ terms make? :wink:

(btw, we normally write 2iθ rather that i2θ)

8. May 24, 2012 #7
    oh well but the expression above is f(z) not lf(z)l = mod(f(z)), and I wanted to show that lzllf(z)l -> 0 as lzl->∞..

Edit: Oh well if f(z) goes to zero then surely lf(z)l does too.. So nevermind, unless you can have lf(z)l->0 even though f(z) doesn't? Nah that wouldn't make sense right..?

Last edited: May 24, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook