Modulus of rupture at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper about an investigation of pencil-lead breaks and the problem of finding the correct formula for determining the breaking force of lead. The conversation also includes a discussion about experimental and theoretical methods for calculating the breaking load and the importance of considering factors such as stress concentration and lead support. The conversation ends with a suggestion to analyze a specific case and compare the results to experimental data.
patehi

Homework Statement

Hi guys, i came across a paper about an Investigation of pencil-lead breaks as acoustic Emission sources by Markus G.R. Sause (it's downloadable everywhere).

The Setup of the Experiment can be seen in the Picture i attached. Now the Problem i have is to find the correct formula on how to find the breaking force of lead, where the elastic modulus and density are defined.
E=10.5 Gpa, ρ=1.78 Mg/m3.
In the table below, the calculated forces are listed in the table "Force (experimental)".

My attempt is to use the formula of Modulus of rupture, E = M.y/I and get the value for Bending Moment. For the sake of example, i am using 0.5 mm Diameter, 60° angle, 4 mm lead length.

Assuming that i am using the correct formula, i calculated the Bending Moment on the System.
This is where i stuck since I am not sure what are all Forces acted on the lead. (Please see my attempt in the attachment).

Homework Equations

Once all Forces are known, use force Equilibrium where Fx=0, Fy=0, M=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the Images i attached.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Breaking.jpg
    Breaking.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 480
  • Bending moment.jpg
    Bending moment.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,187
  • forces.jpg
    forces.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
If your assuming that the lead can move in and out freely, then I agree with your sketched forces. (you model the tip of the pencil as a roller, and end as a pin).

hi thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that the lead is fixed, and can't move in and out freely.

Last edited:
There are problems with both your experimental method and your theoretical calculations .

(1) Depending on the setting angle there may be :

(a) Significant axial load on the lead .
(b) Slippage of the lead along the load cell surface sufficient to change the problem geometry .

(2) The lead is only poorly supported in bending by the quill tube in the pen . You can't assume a fully rigid fixing .

(3) There is a stress concentration in the lead at the point where it contacts the quill tube during bending .

(4) The actual mechanics of breakage for the lead are not going to be easy to determine . Certainly a more detailed calculation for breaking load will be needed than you have so far attempted .

Last edited:
Would you like to make an attempt at analysing the 0, 5 mm dia x 4 mm long lead + 60° setting angle case in detail ?

Show us what you come up with and then we can discuss any difficulties and see how to make your experimental and theoretical results agree better .

Last edited:
i have revised the forces acting on the System.
As you can see, S is the stress concentration at the quill and P is longitudinal stress of lead. F is the force pushing the whole System onto the load cell.
In the paper it is however not defined at which length was the mechanical pencil clamped, so i define it as "l".

This is what i came up with.

forces2.jpg

upload pic

Am i going in the right direction?

Sorry - I have only just noticed your reply post .

Yes - at first glance that looks like a much more realistic model . Have you got some numerical results for breakage loads yet ?

i will try to get the numerical results, but just for reassurance, the force which registers on the load cell would be the Ay, correct? If that's the case, i should calculate Ay?

The force F is given and it is the applied force to write.

What you will be doing is correlating the yield moment to applied force F.

So, you will need to calculate the bending moment diagram.

So, first thing to do is to analyse the lead segment. You will need to calculate Ay, Ax, S and P. Note that the forces Ay and Ax each have two other forces - both parallel and perpendicular to the lead. We can neglect the parallel forces to the lead since they do not contribute to the bending moment diagram.

After bending moment diagram analysis, you will obtain the maximum moment the lead undergoes at the assumed breaking applied force 'F' and you can compare your results to the experimental ones.

1. What is the modulus of rupture at an angle?

The modulus of rupture at an angle is a measure of the strength of a material when subjected to a bending force at a specific angle. It is also known as the Modulus of Rupture in Flexure (MOR) or the Transverse Rupture Strength (TRS).

2. How is the modulus of rupture at an angle calculated?

The modulus of rupture at an angle is calculated by dividing the maximum load applied during a bending test by the cross-sectional area of the material. It is typically expressed in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

3. What is the significance of the modulus of rupture at an angle?

The modulus of rupture at an angle is important for understanding the strength and durability of a material. It can help determine if a material is suitable for a particular application or if it needs to be reinforced or replaced with a stronger material.

4. How does the modulus of rupture at an angle differ from the modulus of rupture in compression?

The modulus of rupture at an angle measures the strength of a material when subjected to a bending force, while the modulus of rupture in compression measures the strength of a material when compressed. This means that the two values may be different for the same material, as different forces are being applied in each test.

5. Can the modulus of rupture at an angle vary for the same material?

Yes, the modulus of rupture at an angle can vary for the same material depending on factors such as the direction of the grain, the presence of defects or imperfections, and the testing conditions. It is important to conduct multiple tests and take an average to get a more accurate measurement of the modulus of rupture at an angle.