1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulus of z

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    [tex]f(z) = |z|[/tex]

By the Cauchy-Riemann equations,

[tex]u_x = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

[tex]v_y = -v_x = 0[/tex]

[tex]u_y = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

Since the C.R. equations don't work at (0,0), how can show [itex]f(z)[/itex] is not holomorphic at (0,0)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean you are claiming the CR equations DO WORK at z=0, right? Actually, they don't. u isn't differentiable with respect to x at (0,0). u(x,0)=|x|.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    I didn't claim they work at z = 0. I asked how to show they don't.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    A function is complex differentiable if their partial derivatives for u and v exist and they satisfy the C-R-eq. Since the p.d. for u do not exist, f(z) is not complex differentiable (in z=0). This means that f(z) is not holomorphic in z=0.

6. Feb 1, 2012 #5
    So just take the limit of f(z) approaching from the x and y axis to show they limits are different. Thus, f(z) is not differentiable at z = 0?

7. Feb 1, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the way to show f(z) is discontinuous at z=0. It's not. Write down a difference quotient for the x derivative of u(x,y) at z=0. (u(0+h,0)-u(0,0))/h. Show different ways of letting h->0 lead to different limits.

8. Feb 1, 2012 #7
    This

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\sqrt{(x+h)^2+y^2}-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{h}[/tex]

??

9. Feb 1, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You were wondering what happens at z=0. So put x=0 and y=0.

10. Feb 1, 2012 #9
    That is what I essentially did but my professor wrote, I need to consider (0,0) separately.

11. Feb 1, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We ARE doing (0,0) separately. Away from (0,0) you can use your formulas for u_x and u_y. At (0,0) we are looking at the difference quotient. BTW what do you conclude from that?

12. Feb 1, 2012 #11
    The limit is [itex]\pm 1[/itex].

What I was saying is on an assignment that is what my professor wrote even though I showed the [itex]\pm 1[/itex] too.

13. Feb 1, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you can find two different limits that actually means the limit doesn't exist and the function isn't differentiable. Better have a talk with your professor about what is actually required here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook