Understanding Modus Tollens: Deductive Reasoning with an Example

• B
  • Thread starter albinoblanke
  • Start date
In summary, Modus Tollens is a form of deductive reasoning. It goes as follows: If P, then Q. If not Q, then not P.
albinoblanke
TL;DR Summary
Is this example of Modus tollens correct?

My example:
If you have a value of 1 dollar, then you don't have the value of 10 dollars.
You have the value of 10 dollars.

Therefore, you don't have the value of 1 dollar.
Modus tollens is a form of deductive reasoning.
It goes as follows:"If P, then Q. If not Q, then not P."
Example:
If the dog detects an intruder, the dog will bark.
The dog did not bark.
Therefore, no intruder was detected by the dog.

I was reading about deductive reasoning and came across Modus Tollens. My gut felt something was off and I tried to figure my feelings out. So I came up with the example: If you have the value of 1 dollar, then you don't have the value of 10 dollars; If you have the value of 10 dollars, then you don't have the value of 1 dollar.

This was a bit problematic. The value of 10 dollars does contain the value of 1 dollar, it is part of the value. However, according to the deductive reasoning, you shouldn't have 1 dollar.

I didn't know where to ask this question so I decided to drop it here, I bet some of you can probably explain where I went wrong or if this is an actual exception to the rule, it feels like it is. Even if it isn't, I think it comes very close.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think that when you have ten dollars you also have one dollar, then why does the statement that you have one dollar mean you cannot have ten dollars?

Either you mean you have exactly 1 dollar, or you mean you have at least 1 dollar. You seem to be confusing the two statements in various places.

Likes Klystron and FactChecker
The statement "If A then B" implies the statement "If not B then not A", meaning that if the first statement is true then the second statement is necessarily also true; and also if the first statement is not true then the second statement may or may not be true. But either way Modus Tollens is working.

In your example we have "We have one dollar" for A and "We don't have ten dollars for B". So now we ask ourselves whether it is true that "if A then B", and it is not; if I have one dollar I might also have another nine to go with it. Because "if A then B" is not true here, the contrapositive "if not B then not A" may or may not be true, and that's what's going on your example.

Change proposition A to be "We have exactly one dollar" so that "if A then B" is true and try working through the logic again.

As an aside, there is a formal notation for representing logical propositions that is worth learning; it is more compact and avoids the ambiguities that plague ordinary English and have contributed to your confusion here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Dale
albinoblanke said:
The value of 10 dollars does contain the value of 1 dollar, it is part of the value. However, according to the deductive reasoning, you shouldn't have 1 dollar.
If you want to allow the value of 10 dollars to include the value of 1 dollar then the original statement “If you have the value of 1 dollar, then you don't have the value of 10 dollars” doesn’t work.

Likes FactChecker and mfb
albinoblanke said:
My example:
If you have a value of 1 dollar, then you don't have the value of 10 dollars.
You have the value of 10 dollars.

Therefore, you don't have the value of 1 dollar.
I think you have the basic idea, but your example is not very convincing, due to the lack of specificity already mentioned.

A better example might be the following:
If your pet is a cat, then that pet is a mammal. (##p \Rightarrow q##)
If your pet is not a mammal, then it is not a cat. (##\neg q \Rightarrow \neg p##)

The term used in mathematical logic for this pair of implications is contrapositive. Courses devoted to logic, sometimes taught as philosophy classes, use the terms modus tollens and modus ponens, along with others.

• Informative
Likes Klystron

1. What is modus tollens?

Modus tollens is a form of deductive reasoning that follows the structure of "if P then Q, not Q, therefore not P". It is a way to logically prove the validity of an argument by denying the consequent (Q) and concluding the denial of the antecedent (P).

2. How does modus tollens differ from other forms of deductive reasoning?

Modus tollens is different from other forms of deductive reasoning, such as modus ponens and hypothetical syllogism, because it involves denying the consequent in order to reach a conclusion. In modus ponens, the consequent is affirmed, and in hypothetical syllogism, both the antecedent and consequent are affirmed.

3. Can you provide an example of modus tollens?

Yes, an example of modus tollens is: "If it is raining, then the ground is wet. The ground is not wet, therefore it is not raining." By denying the consequent (the ground is wet), we can logically conclude that the antecedent (it is raining) is not true.

4. What are the benefits of using modus tollens?

Modus tollens allows for a logical and structured approach to reasoning, which can help in making sound and valid arguments. It also helps to identify any flaws or fallacies in an argument by examining the validity of the premises and conclusions.

5. Are there any limitations to using modus tollens?

One limitation of modus tollens is that it only applies to arguments with a conditional statement (if P then Q). It cannot be used for arguments with other logical structures. Additionally, modus tollens relies on the validity of the premises, so if the premises are not true, the conclusion may also be invalid.