1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Möbius transformation, 3 points

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Möbius transformation that maps
    0 -> -1
    1 -> infinity
    infinity -> 1

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]w = f(z) = \frac{az + b}{cz+d}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first idea was to attempt to solve it as a normal system of eq's but that quickly falls apart due to infinity being there. Been toying with the idea of using the fact that lines will map to lines or circles but don't quite know how to apply it.

And yes I know there's a formula for these exact types of questions but it's in the next sub chapter, book figures it's possible to do without knowing that. Just can't for the life of me figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2
    Start with 0 -> -1. This gives you relation between b and d. Then simply think in limits, when f(z) -> inf, f(z) -> 1?

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    Got it to work, was a bit too caught up with the fact that infinity was defined as a point (which I need to read up on more) which just messed with me. Just looking at the limits it wasn't actually bad at all.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted