Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Möbius transformations and SO(3)

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I was given the following problem, and i couldn't solve it yet:

Give a bijection between the elements of SO(3) and the fractional linear transformations of the form
    [tex]\varphi_{z,w}\,(u)=\frac{zu+w}{-\bar wu+\bar z}[/tex], where [tex]u\in \mathbb C\cup \{\infty\};\, z,w\in \mathbb C[/tex].

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    Here are a few things to think about.

- A fractional linear transformation is the projection of a linear transformation of a 2 dimensional complex vector space. The linear map with matrix

a b
    c d

projects to the fractional linear transformation az + b/ cz + d.

- two linear transformations of the complex 2 space that differ by a complex constant project to the same fractional linear transformation.

- Some linear transformations carry the unit sphere in complex 2 space i.e. the vectors (a,b) such that |a|^2 + |b|^2 = 1 , into itself. If two of these differ by a sign they project to the same fractional linear transformation

- SO(3) is the same as the unit sphere in complex 2 space modulo multiplication by -1. In other words, SO(3) may be thought of as those fractional linear transformations that are projections of linear maps of C^2 that preserve the unit sphere.

- if w = 0 then the fractional linear transformation just rotates the plane around the origin. As a map of the Riemann sphere into itself is is just a rotation with infinity and zero as the two fixed poles.

The general fractional linear transformation has two fixed points that are complex conjugates of each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook