Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mohr Circle

1. Feb 2, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone.

Quick question about the Mohr circle.

If I have got the major and minor stress from a Mohr Circle of stress how do you go about finding the major and minor strains?

Can you just use Young's Modulus equation and value for Young's Modulus or will I need to construct Mohr Circle of Strain?

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I don't see why you would construct another Mohr circle. If you have Young's modulus given, and if you know the stresses, you can find the strain.
  4. Feb 2, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help.

The question I was trying to ask was would the major/minor strain occur when the stress corresponds to the major/minor stress and vice versa?
  5. Feb 2, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Yes. The principal strains will lie in the same direction as the principal stresses. The only real difference between the Mohr's Circle for plane stress and plane strain is that for the circle in strain, the Y axis (shear strain) is equal to half of the shear strain.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?