Solving Mohr's Circle Problem: Is My Solution Correct?

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, Mohr's Circle is a graphical method commonly used in engineering and structural analysis to determine stresses and strains in 2D and 3D problems. To draw it, plot principal and shear stresses on the axes and connect points to create a circle. To verify the solution, use equations and compare to original problem. Limitations include assumptions of linear elasticity and isotropy. There are software tools available for solving Mohr's Circle problems, but it is important to understand the underlying principles for accuracy.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question with the solution from the textbook and my solution:
3UgKU.png

I don't understand the textbook solution because in their Mohr's circle the max shear stress is 65 Mpa. However, as stated in the problem, the max shearing stress is 80Mpa and this occurs 45 degrees from when the normal stress is max.

Is my solution correct? Or have I been doing this wrong the entire time? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know? :S

1. What is Mohr's Circle and how is it used?

Mohr's Circle is a graphical method used to determine the stresses and strains acting on a material at a specific point. It is commonly used in engineering and structural analysis to analyze stress and strain states in both 2D and 3D problems.

2. How do I draw Mohr's Circle?

To draw Mohr's Circle, you will need to plot the principal stresses on the x-axis and the shear stresses on the y-axis. Then, using the center point of the circle as the origin, plot points representing the normal and shear stresses at each angle of rotation. Finally, connect these points to create the circle.

3. How do I know if my Mohr's Circle solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can use the equations of the circle to calculate the principal stresses and compare them to your original problem. Additionally, you can check if your circle passes through the known stress points on the x-axis and y-axis. If your solution matches these values, it is likely correct.

4. What are the limitations of Mohr's Circle?

Mohr's Circle assumes that the material being analyzed follows the linear elastic theory, meaning that it behaves in a linear manner under stress. It also assumes that the material is isotropic, meaning that its properties are the same in all directions. These assumptions may not hold true for all materials and can lead to inaccuracies in the analysis.

5. Are there any tools or software available for solving Mohr's Circle problems?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available that can help with solving Mohr's Circle problems. These tools can quickly and accurately plot the circle and calculate the principal stresses, making the process more efficient. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles and equations of Mohr's Circle to ensure the accuracy of the results.