Finding M & T Using Mohr's Strain Circle

In summary, a 45deg rosette strain gauge is used to measure strains on a 100mm diameter shaft. Using Mohr's strain circle, the principle strains of 0.00032 and -0.00042 can be found. However, the formula for calculating the bending moment and torque is unknown. Assistance is requested.
arghstar
Hi, desperately need help with this assignment question as its in for 2moro!

"At a point on the surface of a shaft with diameter of 100mm, a 45deg rosette strain gauge is positioned with the middle gauge along the axis of the shaft. The gauges measure strains of a= -0.00015, b = 0.0003, c = 0.00005. Use Mohr's strain circle to determine the value of M(bending moment) and T(torque). E = 210GPa and u = 0.29."

I've drawn a mohr's circle to find principle strains of 0.00032 and -0.00042. From this i can get the principle stresses, but I do not know what formula to use to find the bending moment and torque?

Any help would be much appreciated thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't double post. I answered in the Engineering section.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for assistance with your assignment. I understand the importance of using appropriate methods and equations to accurately determine values such as bending moment and torque. In this case, we can use the equations for bending moment and torque in terms of principle stresses and strains to solve for M and T.

For bending moment, we can use the equation M = (E/2(1+u)) * (σ1-σ2) * (ε1-ε2), where E is the modulus of elasticity, u is the Poisson's ratio, σ1 and σ2 are the principle stresses, and ε1 and ε2 are the principle strains. Plugging in the given values, we get:

M = (210GPa/2(1+0.29)) * (0.00032-(-0.00042)) * (0.0003-(-0.00005))
M = 0.000023 Nm

For torque, we can use the equation T = (E/4(1+u)) * (σ1+σ2) * (ε1+ε2), where E, u, σ1, σ2, ε1, and ε2 are the same as before. Plugging in the given values, we get:

T = (210GPa/4(1+0.29)) * (0.00032+(-0.00042)) * (0.0003+(-0.00005))
T = -0.000012 Nm

I hope this helps you solve your assignment question. Remember to always use the appropriate equations and units when solving for values in scientific problems. Best of luck!

1. What is Mohr's strain circle and how does it help in finding M and T?

Mohr's strain circle is a graphical representation of stress and strain in a material. It helps in finding M and T by providing a visual representation of the principal strains and the orientation of the principal axes.

2. How do I construct a Mohr's strain circle?

To construct a Mohr's strain circle, plot the normal and shear strains on the x and y axes, respectively. Then, draw a circle with the center at the origin and a radius equal to the difference between the maximum and minimum principal strains. Finally, plot the principal strains on the circle and draw lines to connect them to the origin.

3. Can Mohr's strain circle be used for all types of materials?

Yes, Mohr's strain circle can be used for all types of materials, including both isotropic and anisotropic materials. However, for anisotropic materials, the orientation of the principal axes may vary at different points on the material.

4. What are the applications of Mohr's strain circle in engineering?

Mohr's strain circle has many applications in engineering, including analyzing stress and strain in materials, determining the maximum shear stress and principal stresses, and designing structures to withstand different types of loading.

5. How accurate is the method of finding M and T using Mohr's strain circle?

The method of finding M and T using Mohr's strain circle is a visual and approximate method. It provides a good estimation of the principal stresses and orientation of the principal axes, but more accurate methods may be required for precise calculations.