Moire potential depth from continuum model

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of climate change and its impact on the environment. The participants discussed the various factors contributing to climate change and the potential consequences if action is not taken. They also touched upon the importance of individual and collective efforts in mitigating the effects of climate change.
Shena
TL;DR Summary
Calculating Moire potential depth using Continuum model
Dear All,

I am trying to calculate the moire potential depth of transition metal dichalcogenide system.
I have attached supporting material obtained from one of the thesis. Here they have describe the continuum model hamiltonian for TMDs homobilayer.
My question is how to obtain the moire potential.
1. Interlayer moire potential
2. Intralayer moire potential

In this chapter it says the diagonal term of the T l1l2 gives the moire potential.
It is not very clear to me. I'm trying to calculate the moire potential depth of this system

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 4.35.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 4.35.34 PM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 4.35.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 4.35.46 PM.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 59

1. What is a Moire potential depth?

A Moire potential depth is a term used in physics to describe the energy difference between two layers of atoms or molecules that are slightly misaligned. It is caused by the interference patterns that arise when two periodic structures are overlaid.

2. How is the Moire potential depth calculated?

The Moire potential depth can be calculated using a continuum model, which simplifies the complex interactions between atoms or molecules into a continuous energy landscape. This model takes into account factors such as the lattice mismatch and the rotation angle between the two layers.

3. What is the significance of the Moire potential depth?

The Moire potential depth is important because it affects the electronic, optical, and mechanical properties of the overlaid layers. It can also be tuned by adjusting the rotation angle between the layers, making it a useful tool for controlling material properties.

4. How is the Moire potential depth related to 2D materials?

Many 2D materials, such as graphene and transition metal dichalcogenides, exhibit strong Moire patterns when stacked on top of each other. The resulting Moire potential depth can significantly alter their electronic and optical properties, making them promising candidates for applications in nanoelectronics and optoelectronics.

5. Can the Moire potential depth be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Moire potential depth can be measured using various techniques such as scanning tunneling microscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. These methods allow researchers to directly observe the energy differences between the overlaid layers and study the effects of the Moire potential depth on material properties.