How Can I Convert Mol Fraction to Percentage?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the ideal gas law can be used to convert mol fraction to percentage, with mol % being equal to volume % and weight % being calculated by taking the molecular weights into account. Therefore, a gas mixture with a 0.02 mol fraction of CO2 would be equal to 0.02% in terms of percentage.
rwooduk
Hi, please could someone give me some advice on how I would convert the mol fraction to percentage? i.e. I want a gas mixture of Argon and Carbon dioxide with only 0.02 mol fraction of CO2, what would this be as a percent?

I tried using this:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/percent/mole.html

And when I put 0.02 in I get 1.204*10^24 in the percent term, how can this be a percentage?

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what that site is doing.

But you can use the ideal gas law to discover that mol % = volume %.
If you want weight % you have to bring in the molecular weights:$$ wt\%_i = {MW_i * mol\%_i\over \Sigma_j MW_j * mol\%_j }$$

Likes rwooduk
BvU said:
No idea what that site is doing.

But you can use the ideal gas law to discover that mol % = volume %.
If you want weight % you have to bring in the molecular weights:$$ wt\%_i = {MW_i * mol\%_i\over \Sigma_j MW_j * mol\%_j }$$

That's extremely helpful thankyou! Ahhh yes I see now, but just airing on the side of caution please could you confrim that 0.02 mol frac would be equal to 0.02%

1. What is a mol fraction?

A mol fraction, also known as a mole fraction, is a unit used to express the amount of a particular substance in a mixture. It is the ratio of the number of moles of a specific component to the total number of moles in the mixture.

2. How do you calculate mol fraction?

To calculate mol fraction, divide the number of moles of the specific component by the total number of moles in the mixture. This will give you a decimal value, which can then be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

3. Why is mol fraction important in chemistry?

Mol fraction is important in chemistry because it allows for a more accurate representation of the composition of a mixture. It takes into account the relative amounts of each component, rather than just their individual masses or volumes.

4. What is the relationship between mol fraction and percentage?

Mol fraction and percentage are related in that mol fraction can be converted to a percentage by multiplying it by 100. This gives the percentage of the specific component in the mixture.

5. How is mol fraction used in laboratory experiments?

In laboratory experiments, mol fraction is often used to calculate the concentration of a solution or the amount of a particular substance in a mixture. It is also used to determine the purity of a substance and to compare the properties of different mixtures.