Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molar Enthalpy

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Okay so I think I know what I'm doing, but I have a lab tommorow and I have to use Hess's Law to find the total enthalpy change of Mg(s)+1/2O2(g)-->MgO(s). I know how to do that but during my lab tommorow I have to find the enthalpy change of 2 reactions. First, Mg(S)+2HCL(aq)-->H2(g)+MgCl2(aq), using 0.5g of magnesium and 100.0 ml of 1.00 mol/L. So, I should record the temperature change of the original HCl, then the temperature of the MgCl2 afterwords and record the temperature change (this is a high school lab, so it doesn't matter that some energy is lost to surroundings). I understand all the formulas but I'm confused which one is the limiting reagent, which would influence which one I use in the q=mcΔT and which value I would use for the amount of moles. So, from what I have so far, I have ΔH(sol)=(0.5g+100.0g)(4.18 J/g°C)(ΔT)/the moles of the Mg, which is 0.021 (assuming the specific heat capacity of HCl is 4.18 J/g°c)

Also, same question for the nest equation, MgO(s)+2HCl(aq)-->H2O(l) + MgCl2(aq)... which value should I use for m and which for the n?

Sorry for the long question, but thanks for any input. I know the text is long, but to sum it up, how do you decide in a chemical reaction which reactant to use in the molar enthalpy equations to find the correct molar enthalpy? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    Sorry, for the second equation, there is 1.0g magnesium oxide and 100.0 mL of 1.00 mol/L HCl.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Calculate how much HCl is needed for a 1g of Mg to react. If what you get is less than the amount of HCl present, Mg is a limiting reagent. If what you get is more than the amount of HCl present, HCl is the limiting reagent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook