Finding Molar Enthalpy: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter mayodt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Enthalpy
In summary, the conversation discusses using Hess's Law to find the total enthalpy change of a chemical reaction and determining the limiting reagent in a reaction. The speaker also mentions using the formula q=mcΔT to find the enthalpy change and is unsure about which reactant to use in the molar enthalpy equation. They also ask for help in calculating the amount of HCl needed for a specific amount of magnesium.
mayodt
Okay so I think I know what I'm doing, but I have a lab tommorow and I have to use Hess's Law to find the total enthalpy change of Mg(s)+1/2O2(g)-->MgO(s). I know how to do that but during my lab tommorow I have to find the enthalpy change of 2 reactions. First, Mg(S)+2HCL(aq)-->H2(g)+MgCl2(aq), using 0.5g of magnesium and 100.0 ml of 1.00 mol/L. So, I should record the temperature change of the original HCl, then the temperature of the MgCl2 afterwords and record the temperature change (this is a high school lab, so it doesn't matter that some energy is lost to surroundings). I understand all the formulas but I'm confused which one is the limiting reagent, which would influence which one I use in the q=mcΔT and which value I would use for the amount of moles. So, from what I have so far, I have ΔH(sol)=(0.5g+100.0g)(4.18 J/g°C)(ΔT)/the moles of the Mg, which is 0.021 (assuming the specific heat capacity of HCl is 4.18 J/g°c)

Also, same question for the nest equation, MgO(s)+2HCl(aq)-->H2O(l) + MgCl2(aq)... which value should I use for m and which for the n?

Sorry for the long question, but thanks for any input. I know the text is long, but to sum it up, how do you decide in a chemical reaction which reactant to use in the molar enthalpy equations to find the correct molar enthalpy? Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry, for the second equation, there is 1.0g magnesium oxide and 100.0 mL of 1.00 mol/L HCl.

Calculate how much HCl is needed for a 1g of Mg to react. If what you get is less than the amount of HCl present, Mg is a limiting reagent. If what you get is more than the amount of HCl present, HCl is the limiting reagent.

1. What is molar enthalpy, and why is it important?

Molar enthalpy is a measure of the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is important because it helps us understand the thermodynamics of a reaction and how much energy is needed to drive the reaction forward.

2. How do you calculate molar enthalpy?

Molar enthalpy can be calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpies of the products and reactants of a chemical reaction. This can be done using standard enthalpies of formation or through Hess's Law.

3. What equipment is needed for finding molar enthalpy?

To find molar enthalpy, you will need a calorimeter, thermometer, and a source of heat, such as a burner. You will also need the necessary chemicals and reagents for the specific reaction you are studying.

4. What are the steps for finding molar enthalpy?

The steps for finding molar enthalpy include setting up the calorimeter, measuring the initial temperature of the reactants, adding the chemicals and recording the final temperature, and calculating the change in temperature and the heat released or absorbed. From there, you can use the necessary equations to find the molar enthalpy.

5. How can molar enthalpy be applied in real life situations?

Molar enthalpy is applied in various industries, such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and energy, to understand and optimize reactions and processes. It is also used in everyday life, such as in cooking and understanding the energy content of food. Additionally, molar enthalpy is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of substances and their reactions in the environment.