Molar Mass of a Mixture: Calculating with nN2, nO2, and p=nRT/V

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the molar mass of a mixture of gases using the equation M=m/n. The main confusion lies in finding the correct molar mass for CO2 and understanding that the mixture is not a compound, but a mixture of compounds. The equivalent molar mass can be calculated by taking into account all mixed gases, such as N2, O2, and CO2.
pressurised

Homework Statement

T2V7LdX.png

Homework Equations

M=m/n
p=nRT/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on getting the molar mass of the mixture, unless the answer is wrong.
For nN2 I done 0.79*(3*10-3) which gave me 2.37*10-3kmol

For nO2 I done the same but with 0.21 to get 6.3*10-4kmol

The ntotal of the mixture is 3.5*10-3kmol

For each pressure I used p=nRT/V with R=8314 to get 174.594kPa for the total pressure, 31.427kPa for the partial pressure of oxygen, and 118.225kPa for nitrogen.
But when working out the partial pressure of CO2 I got 24.942kPa. In the answers it states it is actually meant to be 29.94kPa but unless this is a mistake, I am not sure why it would be this.

Lastly for the Molar mass, I done (mO2/ntotal)+(mN2/ntotal)+(mCO2/ntotal) to find the total molar mass, and that gave me 14.455kg/kmol, when it should apparently be 31kg/kmol.

I done 1/3*(0.5*10-3)(16) to find the mass of Carbon and used 2/3 for the mass of Oxygen in the CO2.

Physics news on Phys.org
31 g/mol is a correct answer.

Molar mass in this case is a weighted average of molar masses of individual gases (weighted by molar fractions).

Borek said:
31 g/mol is a correct answer.

Molar mass in this case is a weighted average of molar masses of individual gases (weighted by molar fractions).

I can't seem to get anywhere close to 31g/mol. I'm not sure how to really do this.

I done (0.21*16)+(0.79+14)+(⅓*12*1/6)+(2/3*16*1/6) and got 16.86g/mol...

Start calculating molar fractions of all gases present in the mixture.

Borek said:
Start calculating molar fractions of all gases present in the mixture.

I got 67.7% of the mixture is Nitrogen, 4.8% is Carbon and 27.5% is Oxygen?

I said "gases", not "elements".

Borek said:
I said "gases", not "elements".

I'm completely lost with this. But to what you said, is it 85.7% dry air and 14.3% CO2?

Do you happen to know any text or video that explains this clearly?

I'm really confused as to why, Mmix=ΣxniMi doesn't work with this?

pressurised said:
I'm completely lost with this. But to what you said, is it 85.7% dry air and 14.3% CO2?

Yes, but you have to split dry air further into oxygen and nitrogen (which are both gases and elements, but treat them just as gases).

Do you happen to know any text or video that explains this clearly?

Sorry, no.

pressurised said:
I'm really confused as to why, Mmix=ΣxniMi doesn't work with this?

Definitely works, but you should take care about meaning of the symbols involved.

What are substances denoted by i?

What is xi?

What is Mi?

Borek said:
Yes, but you have to split dry air further into oxygen and nitrogen (which are both gases and elements, but treat them just as gases).
Sorry, no.
Definitely works, but you should take care about meaning of the symbols involved.

What are substances denoted by i?

What is xi?

What is Mi?

I should have used Mj and xj, but the sum of Mi (is the molar mass of each component) multiplied by ni (the mole fraction).

I actually split up the dry air into oxygen and nitrogen to carry out the calculation but it won't generate the correct answer for me?
So I take it I shouldn't split up the CO2 into carbon and oxygen but treat it as a gas? If so that's when I got confused as to finding the molar mass of this compound... (sorry Chemistry is not my strong point)

pressurised said:
I should have used Mj and xj, but the sum of Mi (is the molar mass of each component) multiplied by ni (the mole fraction).

Doesn't matter if you enumerate compounds with i, j or k, or whatever.

I think you are lost about what is a "component" here, especially as

pressurised said:
finding the molar mass of this compound

the mixture is not a compound - it is a mixture of compounds. And actually it doesn't have a molar mass, as molar mass is a property of a compound - something with well defined molecular formula. Mixture doesn't have a formula, it contains separate compounds, each one having a separate formula.

However, when we are dealing with gases each mixture of them can be described by an equivalent molar mass. That is, it will behave (not in chemical reactions, but during physical changes - when being heated, compressed and so on) as a gas with such a molar mass. And this equivalent molar mass can be calculated using formula you have listed - but for calculations you need to take into account all mixed gases, in this case N2, O2 and CO2.

Does it clarify things a bit?

Borek said:
Doesn't matter if you enumerate compounds with i, j or k, or whatever.

I think you are lost about what is a "component" here, especially as
the mixture is not a compound - it is a mixture of compounds. And actually it doesn't have a molar mass, as molar mass is a property of a compound - something with well defined molecular formula. Mixture doesn't have a formula, it contains separate compounds, each one having a separate formula.

However, when we are dealing with gases each mixture of them can be described by an equivalent molar mass. That is, it will behave (not in chemical reactions, but during physical changes - when being heated, compressed and so on) as a gas with such a molar mass. And this equivalent molar mass can be calculated using formula you have listed - but for calculations you need to take into account all mixed gases, in this case N2, O2 and CO2.

Does it clarify things a bit?

Thank you I understand now. By compound I meant I was struggling to find the molar mass of the CO2 (compound) but it was far more straightforward than I initially thought.
Another part I initially messed up on was failing to realize the figures were not for the molecular pairs O and N travel in, I think that's what you were trying to hint to me when saying 'gases' and not 'elements'? :)

pressurised said:
think that's what you were trying to hint to me when saying 'gases' and not 'elements'? :)

Not exactly, but it looks like there were several levels of misunderstanding and confusion - no sense to straighten that up now.

1. What is molar mass of a mixture?

Molar mass of a mixture is the average mass of all the molecules in a mixture, taking into account their individual molar masses and the relative amounts of each substance present in the mixture.

2. How is molar mass of a mixture calculated?

Molar mass of a mixture is calculated by multiplying the molar mass of each substance in the mixture by its relative amount (in moles) and then adding them together.

3. Why is molar mass of a mixture important?

Molar mass of a mixture is important because it is used to determine the concentration of a solution and to calculate various properties such as density and molarity.

4. How does molar mass of a mixture differ from molar mass of a pure substance?

Molar mass of a mixture takes into account the individual molar masses and relative amounts of all the substances present, while molar mass of a pure substance only considers the molar mass of one type of molecule.

5. Can molar mass of a mixture change?

Yes, molar mass of a mixture can change if the composition of the mixture changes. For example, if more of one substance is added to the mixture, the molar mass will increase.