Molar mass

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

To determine the molar mass of a certain protein, 1.00E-3 grams of the protein was dissolved in enough water to make a 1.00 mL solution. The osmotic pressure of this solution was found to be 1.12 torr at 25.0C. Calculate the molar mass of the protein.

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes ? And what do you want us to do ?

physicsss said:
To determine the molar mass of a certain protein, 1.00E-3 grams of the protein was dissolved in enough water to make a 1.00 mL solution. The osmotic pressure of this solution was found to be 1.12 torr at 25.0C. Calculate the molar mass of the protein.
I assume you want help in working out the molar mass. Where are your attempts first???

The Bob (2004 ©)

I tried using this equation: p = i M R T, but I have no idea what i is.

ShawnD
Science Advisor
physicsss said:
I tried using this equation: p = i M R T, but I have no idea what i is.
i = moles of stand-alone stuff per mole of stuff (for lack of better words). for example, i for sulphuric acid is 3. i for potassium chloride is 2. i for acetic acid is 1 (weak acids do not dissociate).

Do you know what it is for protein?

ShawnD
Science Advisor
Probably 1

i = van't Hoff factor. Roughly speaking, it measures the degree to which the ions dissassociate in solution. For example, the van't Hoff factor of NaCl is 2 since NaCl completely dissassociatesin water. Since most proteins don't ionize in water, n is probably 1.

i does not necessarily have to be an integer. For compounds that don't completely dissassociate, the van't Hoff factor is less than wht you would expect. The van't Hoff factor for HF for instance, is only a little bit more than 1 and not 2 since HF is a weak acid.