Molar Specific Heat: Translation Only

In summary, the discussions revolved around two problems. The first problem involved an expansion of steam from a geyser at 100°C with no heat loss to the surrounding air. The temperature was calculated to be 147.40 K, but the correct answer is 235.0 K. The second problem involved determining the types of energy contributing to the molar specific heat of a gas with a ratio of Cp/Cv of 1.65. The correct answer is translation only.
roam

Homework Statement

(a) Steam coming from a geyser at 100°C expands as it rises into the air. Since this expansion is rapid over the first small time interval we can assume that this occurs with no heat loss to the surrounding air in the region of the vent. What happens to the temperature when its initial volume is increased to four times its initial volume?

(correct answer: 235.0 K)

(b) The ratio of Cp/Cv for a particular gas is 1.65. What are the types of energy that are contributing to the molar specific heat? Choose one of the following:

· translation only

· translation and rotation only

· translation, rotation and vibration

· translation and vibration only

(correct answer: translation only)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I tried this equation

[tex]T_iV_i^{\gamma-1}=T_fV_f^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

100°C = 373.15 K. Also the theoretical value for [tex]\gamma[/tex] is

[tex]\gamma= \frac{C_p}{C_V}=\frac{5R/2}{3R/2}= \frac{5}{3}=1.67[/tex]

[tex](373.15 K) =T_f (4^{0.67})[/tex]

Tf=147.40 K

Why is my answer not correct?

(b) I don't know how to decide what types of energy are contributing to the molar specific heat. I know that the ratio of molar specefic heat is equal to 1.67 and the ratio of the particular gas given is in good adreement with this experimental values obtained for monatomic gases. But I don't know how to determine if the types of energy that are contributing to the molar specific heat are rotational/viberational/rotational. Any explanation is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I figured out part (b) but I still don't know why I get part (a) wrong!

I used the equation that gives the relationship between T and V for an adiabatic process involving an ideal gas:

[tex]T_iV_i^{\gamma -1}=T_fV_f^{\gamma -1}[/tex]

[tex]373.15 K = T_f 4^{0.67}[/tex]

[tex]T_f=147.40[/tex]

But this does not agree with the model answer (235.0 K). Is there something wrong with my method?

What is molar specific heat?

Molar specific heat, also known as molar heat capacity, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is molar specific heat different from specific heat?

Molar specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance, while specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance.

What is the unit of measurement for molar specific heat?

The unit of measurement for molar specific heat is joules per mole per Kelvin (J/mol·K).

How does molar specific heat affect the translation of molecules?

Molar specific heat affects the translation of molecules by determining how much heat energy is required to increase the average kinetic energy of the molecules, which in turn affects their speed and movement.

What factors can affect the value of molar specific heat?

The value of molar specific heat can be affected by the type of substance, temperature, and phase (solid, liquid, or gas) of the substance. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or other substances in the sample.