• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Molar volume at STP

Homework Statement

We know that one mole of any gas occupies 22.4 L at STP. But I am a little confused because if I increase the volume of the container then the volume will also change, but how is there a fixed value of 22.4 L?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned it out as follows : if the volume of container is changed, the standard pressure is not maintained at 1 atm , so it is no longer STP. Please correct me if i am wrong, and help me with some additional information if i am correct.[/B]

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
I reasoned it out as follows : if the volume of container is changed, the standard pressure is not maintained at 1 atm , so it is no longer STP. Please correct me if i am wrong, and help me with some additional information if i am correct.
The result will vary depending on how the volume of the container is increased, and what other conditions apply. For instance, if the container is isolated from the rest of the universe, then no additional energy can enter the container, such the expansion will be adiabatic, and both the temperature and the pressure of the gas will change.

In the case of a closed rigid container sitting on a lab bench at STP, after the change of volume and after the container has reached equilibrium with the room, then indeed you will find that pressure has changed (but not the temperature, as we have assumed that it is in equilibrium at standard T).

Thanks sir.