How to Calculate Initial Molarity of S2O32- in a Trial

In summary, to calculate the initial molarity of S2O32- in each trial given 1.00 mL of .010 M Na2S2O3 and a total volume of 7.00 mL, you can use the formula M1V1=M2V2 to find the molarity of a trial. First, calculate the number of moles of Na2S2O3 in the stock solution, then use the total volume and the volume of a trial to calculate the molarity of the trial.
TypeFun

Homework Statement

Calculate the initial molarity of S2O32- in each trial given that each trial has 1.00 mL of .010 M Na2S2O3 and a total volume of 7.00 mL.

Homework Equations

mol = g/(g/mol)
M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)(.01)=7x
.0014=x

Physics news on Phys.org

Keep trying.

Hmm. Well that's really not that helpful to me. Do you have a hint on what I should do? I mean, I wouldn't be asking on this forum if I wasn't in need of help.

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm stuck.

Easier to use the definition of molarity. How many moles compound in each trial? How much volume of finished solution in each trial? Calculate the ratio.

symbolipoint said:
How many moles compound in each trial? How much volume of finished solution in each trial? Calculate the ratio.

It does not give the number of moles per trial. The question written above is all the information given.

The total volume is 7.00 mL. Is that how much volume of finished solution would be in each trial?

The total volume is 7.00 mL. Is that how much volume of finished solution would be in each trial?

Yes.

I'm still struggling.
I've calculated the grams of Na2S2O3 = 1.58 g, but I'm still confused as to how I get the molarity of S2O3

TypeFun said:
I'm still struggling.
I've calculated the grams of Na2S2O3 = 1.58 g, but I'm still confused as to how I get the molarity of S2O3

You have the molarity of the stock solution. You have the volume of a trial. These are enough to calculate molarity of a trial.

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute in a liter of solution. It is expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L) or sometimes as molar (M).

2. How do you calculate molarity?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This formula is expressed as M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

3. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molality is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent, while molarity measures the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality is often used at high temperatures or in situations where the volume of the solution may change.

4. Can you convert between molarity and molality?

Yes, you can convert between molarity and molality using the formula Molarity = Molality x Density x Molecular Weight. However, this conversion only works for dilute solutions and at a constant temperature.

5. How do you use molarity in stoichiometry calculations?

Molarity is used in stoichiometry calculations by converting the given molarity of a solution into moles of solute, and then using the mole ratio from the balanced equation to determine the moles of the other reactants or products involved. These moles are then converted back into molarity to find the concentration of the final solution.