Calculate the molarity, M, of the NaOH

• Thread starter Xamfy19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, the formula for calculating molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. The moles of solute can be determined using the mass of the solute and its molar mass, while the liters of solution can be measured using a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask. The unit of molarity is moles per liter (mol/L) and any unit can be used for the mass of solute and volume of solution as long as they are the same. If the concentration is given in different units, such as grams per milliliter, conversion factors can be used to convert it to moles per liter and then the molarity formula can be applied to calculate the molarity of the solution.
Xamfy19
An amount of potassium acid phthalate (KHP) weighs 0.426 g. The KHP is dissolved in a small amount of water and titrated with 16.98 mL of NaOH. Calculate the molarity, M, of the NaOH.

The following is my answer, but it was wrong. Can anyone help? Thanks

Molecular weight of KHP = 71.08
0.426/71.08/0.01698 = 0.353

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The molecular weight of KHP is 204.22 g/mol. Assuming 16.98 mL was the amount needed to reach the end point your calculation is correct except for the molar mass of KHP.

Thanks alot

:smile: :smile: :smile:

no problem

1. What is the formula for calculating molarity?

The formula for calculating molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

2. How do I know the moles of solute and liters of solution?

The moles of solute can be determined by using the mass of the solute and its molar mass. The liters of solution can be measured using a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask.

3. What is the unit of molarity?

The unit of molarity is moles per liter (mol/L).

4. Can I use any unit for the mass of solute and volume of solution?

Yes, you can use any unit for the mass of solute and volume of solution as long as they are both in the same unit. However, it is recommended to use units that are commonly used in chemistry such as grams for mass and liters for volume.

5. How do I calculate the molarity of a solution if the concentration is given in different units?

If the concentration is given in different units such as grams per milliliter, you can use conversion factors to convert it to moles per liter. Then, you can use the molarity formula to calculate the molarity of the solution.