1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molarity/redox reactions

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the molarity of a NaCl solution if 18.3mL of the solution reacted with 13.6mL of 0.1M KMnO4 based on the following unbalanced redox reaction in an acidic solution?

Cl- + MnO4- yields-> Cl2 + Mn2+

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the two half reactions
    Cl- -> Cl2
    MnO4- -> Mn2+

Do I find the full half reactions (ie: the electrons gained/lost H2O, H+) and then do a molarity problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes - this is in fact simple stoichiometric question, just based on the redox reaction. Find full balanced reaction equation first.

4. May 6, 2008 #3
    Ok I got 10Cl- + 16H+ + 2MnO4- -> 5Cl2 + 2Mn2+ + 8H2O

Next I did 13.6mL KMnO4 x .1M = .00136moles KMnO4

what i dont understand is how to find moles of NaCl through the half reaction

5. May 6, 2008 #4
    well i think i got it

based on the half reaction, there are 5 times as many Cl- ions as there are MnO4- ions.
    therefore there are 5 times as many moles of NaCl than there are moles of KMnO4.
    5 x .00136=.0068moles NaCl

.0068moles NaCl/.0186L NaCl=.372M NaCl

6. May 6, 2008 #5

Borek

OK

7. May 9, 2008 #6
    I dont understand this. If we have V of NaCl is 18.3 mL, can we find M by using M=mole/V. So the ratio of NaCl and KMnO4 isn't 1:1 ?

8. May 9, 2008 #7

Borek

Ratio is given by reaction equation. Take a look at stoichiometric coeffcients.

9. May 9, 2008 #8
    Why do we have to do 10Cl + 16H ......?

Sorry, I just don't understand your step.

10. May 10, 2008 #9

Borek

Because these coefficients where necessary to balance the equation. Do you know what it means to balance the equation and why the reaction equations needs to be balanced?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?