- Mole and Avogadro's Number -

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter squares
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole
In summary: Ba(OH)2.In summary, to convert 2.95 mol of Ba(OH)2 to atoms, you would first calculate the number of molecules by multiplying moles by Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23). Then, you would multiply that number by the number of atoms per molecule (in this case, 9) to get the total number of atoms. To calculate the mass of 3.01 x 10^23 formula units of Strontium hydroxide, you would use the formula mass/Avogadro's number and then multiply by the number of formula units. To find the number
squares
2.95 mol Ba(OH)4 to atoms. (I think I wrote this problem wrong. It might be (OH)2 instead).
I'm confused >.< Do I:
1) multiply 2.95 mol by 6.02 x 10^23 atoms or
or
2) multiply 2.95 mol x 6.02 x 10^23 molcules x 9 atoms.
or is it something else?

Also, how do I do these?
Calculate the mass of 3.01 x 10^23 formula units (ions) of Strontium hydroxide.
Find the number of atoms in 16.0g of sulfur

Please help if you can. ~____~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moles is amount of particles. When this compound is broken down it is split into 1Ba and 4(OH) [according to you].

moles * 6.02E23= number of particles
(Number of particles)*(Number of particles the molecule can decompose to)=number of ions of that particular particle.

eax said:
moles is amount of particles.
hence no. of molecules=2.95*6.023*10^23
hence no. of atoms= no. of molecules*no. of atoms per molecule(9 in your case, though it is Ba (OH)2, i.e. 5):smile:
Strontium hydroxide is Sr (OH)2
hence no. of formula units= no. of atoms
hence mass = (molarmass/avogadro's no.)*no. of units
same for next.
refer University Chemistry by Bruce Mahan for details.

if they're asking for the atoms of Ba(OH)2 and not its constituent ions, then you would simply solve this by factor labeling

2.95mol Ba(OH)2(6.022x10^23 molecules Ba(OH)2/1mol Ba(OH)2) =?, you should verify that the units cancel out during such processes

What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms in exactly 12 grams of carbon-12.

What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is a physical constant that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. It is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole.

Why is Avogadro's number important?

Avogadro's number is important because it allows us to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of particles it contains. It also helps us understand the relationship between the macroscopic world and the microscopic world of atoms and molecules.

How is Avogadro's number determined?

Avogadro's number was first determined by the Italian scientist Amedeo Avogadro in the early 19th century. He used a combination of experimental data and mathematical calculations to estimate the number of particles in a given volume of gas.

Why is the mole concept useful in chemistry?

The mole concept is useful in chemistry because it allows us to compare the amounts of different substances and perform calculations involving chemical reactions and stoichiometry. It also helps us understand the concept of molar mass and the relationship between mass, moles, and particles.