Calculate Grams of Carbon Residue from Propane

In summary: Going through the process again, I see that I made a mistake in my calculations. The correct answer is actually 1.102 g C. My apologies for any confusion. In summary, the incomplete reaction of 12.125 g of propane produces 1.102 g of solid carbon residue. This can be calculated by converting the mass of propane to moles and then using the mole ratio in the balanced chemical equation to find the mass of carbon produced.
KYJelly
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
An incomplete reaction of 12.125 g of propane proceeds as follows:

3 C3H8(g) + 14 O2(g) → 8 CO2(g) + 12 H2O(g) + C(s)

How many grams of solid carbon residue are produced as a product?

So, C3H8

C=3(12.01)=36.03 g/mol.
H=8(1.01) = 8.08 g/mol.
= 44.11 g/mol.

Therefore, 12.125 g C3H8 x (1 mol. C3H8/44.11g C3H8) = 0.2749 mol C3H8

Then, 0.2749 mol. C3H8 x (1 mol. C/3 mol. C3H8) = 0.09163 mol C

So, 0.09163 mol. C x (12.01 g C/ 1 mol. C) = 1.101 g C?

Physics news on Phys.org
KYJelly said:
An incomplete reaction of 12.125 g of propane proceeds as follows:

3 C3H8(g) + 14 O2(g) → 8 CO2(g) + 12 H2O(g) + C(s)

How many grams of solid carbon residue are produced as a product?

So, C3H8

C=3(12.01)=36.03 g/mol.
H=8(1.01) = 8.08 g/mol.
= 44.11 g/mol.

Therefore, 12.125 g C3H8 x (1 mol. C3H8/44.11g C3H8) = 0.2749 mol C3H8

Then, 0.2749 mol. C3H8 x (1 mol. C/3 mol. C3H8) = 0.09163 mol C

So, 0.09163 mol. C x (12.01 g C/ 1 mol. C) = 1.101 g C?

I get the same answer as you but couldn't follow your argument and suggest you won't be able to if you come back to it after 6 months. If people can't trace a simple logical process, you won't get the credit if you make a mistake, nor will you so easily detect a mistake.

I would just set it out 3 moles propane gives 1 mole C;

Therefore (multiplying by molecular masses) so many g propane gives so many g C

Therefore (simple proportions) the stated number of propane gives so many g C

Thanks epenguin! I'll definitely revamp my form.

1. How do I calculate the grams of carbon residue from propane?

To calculate the grams of carbon residue from propane, you will need to first determine the molecular weight of propane, which is 44.1 grams per mole. Next, you will need to calculate the percentage of carbon in propane, which is 85.7%. Finally, you can use the formula (molecular weight of propane x percentage of carbon) to find the grams of carbon residue. In this case, it would be (44.1 x 0.857) = 37.8 grams of carbon residue.

2. Why is it important to calculate the grams of carbon residue from propane?

Calculating the grams of carbon residue from propane is important because it helps to determine the environmental impact of burning propane as a fuel source. The higher the percentage of carbon residue, the more carbon emissions are released into the atmosphere, contributing to air pollution and climate change.

3. Can I use a different formula to calculate the grams of carbon residue?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to calculate the grams of carbon residue from propane, such as the stoichiometric ratio method. However, the formula provided in the answer to the first question is the most commonly used method and is considered to be the most accurate.

4. How does the grams of carbon residue from propane compare to other fossil fuels?

The grams of carbon residue from propane may vary depending on the quality and source of the propane, but in general, it is considered to have a lower carbon content compared to other fossil fuels such as coal and oil. This means that burning propane produces fewer carbon emissions, making it a cleaner and more environmentally friendly fuel source.

5. Is there a standard limit for acceptable grams of carbon residue from propane?

There is no standard limit for acceptable grams of carbon residue from propane, as it can vary depending on the purpose and use of the propane. However, it is important to minimize carbon emissions as much as possible, and companies and industries may have their own standards and regulations for carbon residue levels in their use of propane.