1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mole fraction calculation

1. Sep 29, 2017 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is problem 1.3.1 from Herbert Callen's textbook in Thermodynamics, second edition.

In the answers I have the following: Mole fraction of NaCl = 0.057, molar volume =$18\times 10^{-6} m^3/mole$.

How did they arrive at these answers? did they multiplied the ratios with Avogadro's number?

2. Relevant equations
    Relative mole fraction is given by: [tex]N_k/\sum_{j=1}^r N_j[/tex] if we have a mixture of $r$ substances, where this is defined as the molar fraction;
    Molar volume is defined as [tex]V/\sum_{k=1}^r N_k[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do extract the moles of each substance here?

It's not written in the text.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If you are attacking thermodynamics you should already know how to convert between masses and numbers of moles, this is GenChem101 which is prerequisite.

Do you know what the molar mass is?

4. Sep 29, 2017 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have taken undergraduate thermal physics years ago, so I might have forgotten some stuff.

Anyhow, I solved it, thanks; I checked molar mass in wiki and it solved my problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted