Solving a Mole Fraction Problem with X & Y @ 250°C

In summary, the minimum mole fraction of liquid X needed for the mixture to boil at 250 degrees Celsius is about 53.33%. This is calculated using the expression Ptot= (Xa)Px + (1-Xa)Py, where Px and Py are the vapor pressures of liquids X and Y respectively, and Ptot is the total vapor pressure over the mixture at 1 atm.
MeKnos
this problem should be simple, but i must be doing it wrong.

At 250 degrees Celsius, a certain liquid X has a vapor pressure of 900 mm Hg and a second liquid Y has a pressure of 600 mm Hg. What is the minimum mole fraction of X necessary for the mixture to boil at this temperature (assume atmosphere pressure is 1 atm).

MY WORK:

Since I know that the total pressure at this temperature is 1500 mm Hg, and only 760 mm Hg is needed, then only about 51% of the pressures are needed. But when I do (51%)(900) and (49%)(600), it doesn't add up to 760 mm Hg.

When I do guess and check, i get about 53.3% of compound X. How do you do this problem!
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is expression that describes total vapor pressure over the mixture?

Hint: total pressure is not 1500 mmHg.

Borek said:
What is expression that describes total vapor pressure over the mixture?

Hint: total pressure is not 1500 mmHg.

I think I got it, but I just want to confirm the answer.

Ptot= (Xa)Px + (1-Xa)Py.
760 = (Xa)900 + 600 - (Xa)600
760 - 600 = 160 = 300(Xa)

Xa = 160/300 = 53.33%?

Looks OK.

What is a mole fraction?

A mole fraction is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the ratio of the number of moles of one substance to the total number of moles in a solution.

How do you calculate mole fraction?

Mole fraction can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of a specific substance by the total number of moles in the solution. This value is then expressed as a decimal or percentage.

What is the significance of solving a mole fraction problem?

Solving a mole fraction problem allows scientists to accurately determine the concentration of a specific substance in a solution. This information is important in many chemical reactions and experiments.

What is the relationship between mole fraction and temperature?

Mole fraction is not affected by temperature, as it is a measure of the ratio of moles and not the physical properties of the substances in the solution. However, the solubility of substances may change with temperature, which can affect the mole fraction.

How do you solve a mole fraction problem with X & Y @ 250°C?

To solve a mole fraction problem with X & Y @ 250°C, you would need to know the number of moles of each substance (X and Y) and the total number of moles in the solution at 250°C. You can then use the formula to calculate the mole fraction of each substance.