Protein Aggregates: Advantages of Molecular Complexes

• Thread starter gamecube999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecular
In summary, the advantages of proteins aggregating together to form molecular complexes include improved function through conformational changes, increased cooperation and coordination between proteins, and more efficient use of space. These advantages can be seen in various contexts such as in the mitochondria where proteins are organized into complexes (I to IV). The specific advantages of protein aggregation may vary depending on the type of protein and its function.
gamecube999
what are the advantages of proteins aggregating together, forming molecular complexes?

Biology news on Phys.org
Which ones, when and where.

anywhere really... for example, in the mitochondria proteins are organised into Complexes (I to IV), what is the advanatge of that?

gamecube999, I don't understand about general advantages you want to know, but there are some proteins I know of, what protein are you looking for ?

gamecube999 said:
anywhere really... for example, in the mitochondria proteins are organised into Complexes (I to IV), what is the advanatge of that?
If you know enough to say that, then you know what it does.
What's the question?

the question is, are there any specific advantages of aggregate into molecular complexes? I know they can then work together etc...

Advantages compared to what?

Also, given your example, I don't think I know what you mean by aggregate.

advantages of proteins (for example) forming complexes, as opposed to working individually and separately, 'independent of each other'?

When proteins form complexes, the molecular interactions can change the conformation, which changes the function by exposing or hiding active sites, for example, on the proteins. Look up information on primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary protein structures, and/or protein folding, and this will help you understand how changing the shape of a protein through these interactions can change the function of it.

1. What are protein aggregates and why are they important in molecular complexes?

Protein aggregates are clusters of multiple protein molecules that are held together by non-covalent interactions. They are important in molecular complexes because they allow for the formation of larger, more stable structures that can perform complex functions.

2. How do protein aggregates form in molecular complexes?

Protein aggregates can form in molecular complexes through a process called self-assembly, where individual protein molecules come together and interact to form larger structures. This process is often mediated by specific binding sites or interactions between the proteins.

3. What are the advantages of using protein aggregates in molecular complexes?

There are several advantages to using protein aggregates in molecular complexes. They can increase the overall stability and structural integrity of the complex, allow for the formation of larger and more complex structures, and provide a platform for specific interactions and functions.

4. How are protein aggregates studied in the context of molecular complexes?

Protein aggregates in molecular complexes can be studied using various techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and cryo-electron microscopy. These methods can provide information about the structure, interactions, and dynamics of the protein aggregates within the complex.

5. Can protein aggregates have negative effects on molecular complexes?

Yes, protein aggregates can have negative effects on molecular complexes. They can disrupt the proper functioning of the complex by altering the structure or interfering with specific interactions. In some cases, protein aggregates can also lead to diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, where misfolded protein aggregates accumulate in the brain.