What is the dipole moment of 1,3,5-trichloro benzene based on the given data?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with calculating the dipole moments of disubstituted chlorobenzenes and specifically mentions having trouble with 1,3,5-trichloro benzene. They also provide a hint for solving the problem.
leopold123
Could anyone help me in solving this following problem. From the given data, i could calculate the dipole moments of all the disubstituted chlorobenzenes(o-, p- and m- isomers)..but i couldn't calculate the following...I would be thankful if anyone comes up with a needful explanation...thanks...

Given that the dipole moment of chlorobenzene is 1.70 Debye. Calculate the dipole moment of 1,3,5-trichloro benzene...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Where is the problem?

In a way this is a trick question, as there is no need to calculate anything, it it enough to think for a moment. But properly calculated answer would be identical.

Hint: treat dipole moments as vectors.

Last edited:

1. What is a molecular dipole moment?

A molecular dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity that describes the overall polarity of a molecule.

2. How is molecular dipole moment calculated?

Molecular dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge on each atom by the distance between them, and then summing up the individual dipole moments of each bond within the molecule.

3. How does molecular dipole moment affect a molecule's properties?

The presence of a molecular dipole moment can affect a molecule's properties, such as its solubility, boiling point, and reactivity. This is because the polarity of the molecule can influence its interactions with other molecules or ions.

4. Can a molecule have more than one dipole moment?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple dipole moments if it contains multiple polar bonds or if it has an uneven distribution of charge within the molecule.

5. How can molecular dipole moment be experimentally determined?

Molecular dipole moment can be experimentally determined using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or X-ray crystallography. These methods allow for the measurement of the molecular structure and the calculation of the dipole moment based on the positions of the atoms within the molecule.