1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular Flux of a gas

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the molecular flux of argon gas, molar mass 18 g/mol, with density 0.73 kg/m3 and temperature 300 K? Answer: 3.6×10^27 collisions/m^2s

2. Relevant equations
    I actually have no idea

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't find any reference to molecular flux in my notes or 2 physics text books, an equation would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the link. If I read it correctly, flux = .25*(N/V)*√(8kT/([itex]\pi[/itex]m)

however, the density in the problem is given in kg/m^3 while the equation calls for the density based on the number of molecules, which is not given. It's probably an algebra problem now, but I'm also unsure with what to do with the given molar mass.

5. May 15, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is easy to get the number density of molecules from the mass density and molar mass.
    Molar mass is 18 g/mol=0.018 kg/mol. 1 mol gas contains NA (Avogadro Number) molecules, so the mass of a single molecule is 0.018/NA kg.
    The mass density is 0.73 kg/m3, so the mass of 1 m3 gas is 0.73 kg. How many molecule is it ?

ehild

6. May 15, 2013 #5
    Thanks, I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted