What is the Molecular Formula for a Compound Containing Nitrogen and Hydrogen?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a compound that is 87.4% nitrogen by mass and has a density of .977g/L at 710 torr and 100 degrees Celsius. The person has attempted to solve the problem by using the ideal gas law and finding the volume of nitrogen and hydrogen, but is unsure if their method is correct. They also mention finding a way to convert total concentration to average density.
kevinf
i have a question. the problem is

a compound contains only nitrogen and hydrogen and is 87.4% nitrogen by mass. a gaseous sample of the compound has a density of .977g/L at 710. torr and 100. degree celsius. what is the molecular compound.

i have tried it a little by making the mass of nitrogen 87.4 g. and found out the mass of hydrogen by subtracting 87.4 by 100. then i used the mass of each to find out the volume of each. then i used the ideal gas law for both nitrogen and hydrogen. this is all i did so far. i am not even sure if what i did is right. can you guys help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello kevinf and welcome to PF. first use the ideal gas formula

PV=nRT

(n/V)=P/RT

n=total moles of the Nitrogen and Hydrogen gas

Found out how to convert the "total concentration to average density."

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track. To determine the molecular formula of the compound, you will need to use the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of nitrogen and hydrogen in the sample. From there, you can use the molar ratios to determine the empirical formula of the compound. Then, you can use the molar mass of the compound to determine the molecular formula. It would also be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking assistance from a chemistry tutor or your instructor.

What is a molecular formula?

A molecular formula is a chemical notation that shows the types and numbers of atoms present in a molecule. It is used to represent the composition of a substance and is based on the number of each type of atom present in the molecule.

How is a molecular formula determined?

A molecular formula is determined by experimental methods such as spectroscopy, which can identify the types of atoms present in a molecule. The formula is then calculated based on the number of each type of atom present in the molecule.

What is the difference between a molecular formula and an empirical formula?

A molecular formula shows the exact number of each type of atom present in a molecule, while an empirical formula shows the simplest whole number ratio of atoms in a molecule. Empirical formulas are often used for simpler compounds, while molecular formulas are used for more complex compounds.

How can a molecular formula be used to determine the molecular weight of a compound?

The molecular weight of a compound can be determined by adding up the atomic weights of each element in the molecular formula. This can be useful for identifying and characterizing unknown compounds.

Can a molecular formula be changed?

A molecular formula represents the specific composition of a molecule and cannot be changed unless the molecule itself is changed. However, the structural arrangement of the atoms in the molecule can be altered, resulting in a different compound with a different molecular formula.