NH3 Molecular Geometry: Understanding Electron Pair Geometry and Lone Pairs

In summary, The electron pair geometry of NH3 is tetrahedral, with four electron pairs total, including one lone pair. The molecular geometry, however, is trigonal pyramidal, with the hydrogens positioned at an angle in relation to the lone pair. This follows the rule of minimizing electron repulsion and placing the electron pairs as far away from each other as possible. This also applies to other compounds with pyramidal geometries, such as H2O.
chops369

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the electron pair geometry of NH3. I know that its molecular geometry is a trigonal plane, and it has 4 electron pairs total, including one lone pair.

Homework Equations

N/A just nh3 molecular geometry

The Attempt at a Solution

Should the e- pair geometry be a tetrahedron? I'm a little confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just came across another situation that confuses me. How do you rationalize the molecular geometries? For e- pair geometries, my understanding is that your goal is to minimize electron repulsion, therefore you use the geometry that will place the pairs as far away as possible from one another. What is the rule of thumb for molecular geometries, if there is one?

For example, I am stuck on H2O. I completely understand why the e- pair geometry is a tetrahedron, but I have absolutely no idea how the molecular geometry comes out to be angular. The same goes for any of the compounds with pyramidal geometries.

The shape of NH3 is not trigonal planar but trigonal pyramidal. Take a look at the images at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nh3

You know that with four electron pairs, they move as far away from each other as possible and form the vertices, or corners, of a tetrahedron. With H2O, there are two hydrogens, each at one of the corners of the tetrahedron; they are not in a straight line but rather at an angle

What is the molecular geometry of NH3?

The molecular geometry of NH3 is trigonal pyramidal. This means that the molecule has a central nitrogen atom surrounded by three hydrogen atoms, with a lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom.

What is the bond angle in NH3?

The bond angle in NH3 is approximately 107 degrees. This is due to the repulsion between the bonding pairs of electrons and the lone pair of electrons on the central nitrogen atom.

What is the hybridization of NH3?

The hybridization of NH3 is sp3. This means that the nitrogen atom has four hybrid orbitals, with three being used for bonding to the hydrogen atoms and one for the lone pair of electrons.

Is NH3 polar or nonpolar?

NH3 is a polar molecule. This is because the nitrogen atom has a higher electronegativity than the hydrogen atoms, causing a partial negative charge on the nitrogen and a partial positive charge on the hydrogen atoms.

What are the intermolecular forces in NH3?

The intermolecular forces in NH3 are hydrogen bonding. The lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom can interact with the partially positive hydrogen atoms in neighboring NH3 molecules, creating a strong dipole-dipole force.