1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular Kinetic Energy

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A deuteron, , is the nucleus of a hydrogen isotope and consists of one proton and one neutron. The plasma of deuterons in a nuclear fusion reactor must be heated to about 3.01×108 . What is the rms speed of the deuterons?

What would the temperature of the plasma be if the deuterons had an rms speed equal to 9.0×10−2 ?

2. Relevant equations

Vrms = √(3KT/m)

1/2mv2 = 3/2KT

mVrms2/(3K) = T

3. The attempt at a solution

I went over this about 100 times before giving up. The answer I know is 5.9x1010K but even with that I can't get the answer. It is driving me sort of crazy so I figured I would ask if someone could help. The K I am using is 1.38x10-23J/K and the m is 3.34x10-27kg

help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use units, please. In what unit the rms speed has to be 9.0×10−2 and temperature 3.01×108?

ehild

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Speed = m/s and temp = K

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you copied the rms speed correctly? 9.0x10-2 m/s is unrealistic. Even at room temperature, the rms speed is about 2000 m/s for the deuteron.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook