Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Misc. Molecular models DIY

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1
    I want to make my own set of molecular models with balls representing atoms and links representing bonds.

Anyone knows of a good software to do this?

As for the physical model, what bond angles, bond lengths and ball sizes should I create?

I could for example leave atoms as round balls and drill some holes in appropriate places as and when required.

Please discuss the pros and cons, and the usefulness of such a model.

Edwina

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2
    You could use blender.The bond angles vary for molecule to molecule, so you should search it up for the particular molecule, I guess, if you want to be precise.
    As for the bond length, you could set up a particular scale or something.
    Also, you might for example use a smaller sphere for Hydrogen than chlorine, etc.

4. Sep 13, 2016 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

You will be better off ordering a molecular modeling kit that includes software or a free download, the kits include the right ball and joint sizes. It will be much cheaper to do it that way, as making models can get expensive, even using styrofoam. I don't see any cons to point out if using a kit. You can't go wrong using models as a visual aid to learn.

Some software: https://sites.google.com/site/chemistryfreeware/home/3d-molecular-viewing

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?