1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular orbital model

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] molecular orbital model

I have a few quick questions:

consider the structure of glycine
    a) indicate the hybridizations at each N and C atom in the molecule?
    I got sp3, sp3, and sp2

I don't have a problem with that question

b) what is the total number of bonds in the molecule? Not quite sure what this means do i just add them up counting the double bond as 2? So any help would be appreciated

c) what is the total number of pi bonds in the molecule? I think it's 1 because the oxygen at the end has 2p orbitals holding just lone pairs

My basic problem is b. and what do I? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2
    Hi,

yes count double bond as 2

1 double bond = 1 pi bond + 1 sigma bond

only 1 double bond so only 1 pi bond (its the C=O) that has the pi bond, not the O in (C-O) at the end.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    Okay so i looked up the answer for b) and it said 10. How is it 10? Did i draw it wrong or I just can't count? And about c) i thought their was a pi bond between the C and O because they each have an empty p orbital? Or thats wrong b/c the p orbitals on the O are holding lone pairs?

Thanks for answering

5. Nov 25, 2007 #4
    Um yea ignore the question for b) I actually added wrong:redface:

6. Nov 25, 2007 #5
    a pi bond is the SIDE-BY-SIDE overlap of 2 p orbitals (one from O, one from C) that each have 1 electron in them. These p orbitals are unhybridized.

The orbitals that are holding the lone pairs on O are HYBRIDIZED sp2 orbitals. They are not p orbitals that are empty.

7. Nov 25, 2007 #6
    but what about the left over p orbital? Like if it's sp2 hydridized there should be a p left right?

8. Nov 25, 2007 #7
    ahh im sorry. I was trying to overlap a p orbital twice. Thank You

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?