Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular orbital theory

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    Plzz explain me molecular orbital& relation beetween atomic

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    Have you tried Wikipedia. Do you have NCERT texbook for class 11? They explain it properly. As an introduction,
    "In VBt, the atomic orbitals are thought to remain even after bond formation. But in MOT, the valence electrons are considered to be associated with all the nuclei in the molecule. Hence orbitals of different atoms combine to form molecular orbitals"

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3
    But i dont understand antibondig orbital.

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4
    For simplicity, take s orbitals.
    when two s orbitals A and B overlap, you have two cases. Either thier wave functions have same sign or they have opposite signs.
    when they have opposite signs, the waves are out of phase, hence destructive interference takes place and hence there is no electron density at the part where they tried to overlap, that is between thier nuclei. This is called anti-bonding.
    $$\psi_u=N(\psi_A-\psi_B) $$

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5
    But how do u know all that things
    Plzz say
    In this forum how people get a lot of knowledge.
    plzz say me how to get advance knowledge in quantum machenics

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6
    I am in 12th standard and I got this information by reading books. I am preparing for IIT, so I have to learn these concepts. In this forums, people like greg and others might have PhDs and are very experienced. You ask them thier secret. I still have a long way to go.

8. Feb 20, 2015 #7
    Before going to advanced theories, you have to learn about waves and thermodynamics. You should also be comfartable with basic mechanics like conservation of momentum and energy, torque, angular momentum and this happens only after you complete 12th grade. Thats why we learn advanced theories after 12th. So dont confuse yourselves with quantum mechanics now. You can however go through some articles in PF but get advice from senior members.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook