1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular orbital wavefunctions

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] molecular orbital wavefunctions

starting with

Sz(total) = Sz1 + Sz2
    Sz(alpha) = +(1/2)hbar(alpha)
    Sz(beta) = -(1/2)hbar(beta)

I first found the determinant and then simplified

psi = 1/sqrt(2)psi(b)^2[alpha(1)beta(2) - alpha(2)beta(1)]

Sz1psi = 1/sqrt(2)psi(b)^2[beta(2)(1/2)h(bar)alpha(1) + alpha(2)(1/2)h(bar)beta(1)]

Sz1psi = 1/sqrt(2)psi(b)^2[-alpha(1)(1/2)h(bar)beta(2) - beta(1)(1/2)h(bar)alpha(2)]

Sztotal = Sz1 + Sz2 = 0

Can someone please verify if this is correct?
    I would appreciate it.
    thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2
    I realize it's hard to read without the LaTeX, but no one can check if it's correct or not?
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes it seems to be ok,

learn LaTeX, it is worth it :)
  5. Feb 9, 2008 #4

I don't understand that result. Shouldn't the second term be negative since it's a beta?

You means Sz2 I think here. But the second term should be positive since it's an alpha, no?
  6. Feb 9, 2008 #5
    No because when you multiply by the -(1/2)hbar, the beta portion (the second term) becomes a positive, the opposite goes for the alpha, I think, and yes it should be an Sz2.
  7. Feb 9, 2008 #6

you are absolutely right, my mistake. For some reason, when i replied to your post, I forgot about the Slater determinant and I was thinking about a symmetric wavefunction. Sorry about that.
  8. Feb 9, 2008 #7
    Thank you all for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?