• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Molecular Rotation - Adjacent lines in pure rotational spectrum: find equilibrium sep

• Thread starter bmarson123
  • Start date
Problem:
The adjacent lines in the pure rotational spectrum of 35CI19F are separated by a frequency of
1.12 x 1010 Hz. What is the equilibrium separation of the atoms in this molecule?

The attempt at a solution

So, the equation I think I need to use to find the equilibrium separation is I = [itex]\mu[/itex]r02
But I don't know how I can find the inertia,as I don't know how the frequency and inertia are linked?

Last edited:

ehild

Homework Helper
Re: Molecular Rotation - Adjacent lines in pure rotational spectrum: find equilibrium

The emitted or absorbed photon energies differ by ΔE=[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/I. How is the photon energy related to frequency?

I is the moment of inertia of the diatomic molecule: I=r2m1m2/(m1+m2), where r is the distance between the atoms.

ehild

Re: Molecular Rotation - Adjacent lines in pure rotational spectrum: find equilibrium

Thank you!

Ok, so I've tried using [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/I

and to find [itex]\Delta[/itex]E, [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = hf

and then just number crunching that all through, using m1 = 35 and m2 = 19,

I get r = 1.1 x 10-6m

Is that right? It seems pretty big?

ehild

Homework Helper
Last edited:

Yes, does help if I look at my notes properly.

Working that through I get r = 1.1 x 10-23m

ehild

Homework Helper

Can you show your calculations in detail?

ehild

[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] = h / 2[itex]\pi[/itex] = 1.055 x10-34 Js

[itex]\Delta[/itex]E = hf = h x 1.12 x1010 = 7.4256 x10-24

I = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/[itex]\Delta[/itex]E
= 1.113 x10-68 / 7.4256 x10-24
= 1.520 x 10-45

r = [itex]\sqrt{1.520x10-45/12.314}[/itex]
= 1.1 x10-23m

ehild

Homework Helper

What is the reduced mass? Did you take it 12.34 kg? Is the mass of a molecule in the range of kg-s?

That's what I've taken it as, yes. I realise now how stupid that is but I don't know how to work out the mass from the numbers. I don't even know what the numbers are next to the elements.

ehild

Homework Helper

Those numbers are the "molar" masses, the mass of one mole of atoms in gram unit. How many atoms are there in one mole?

ehild

6.02 x 1023?

Do I need to divide the value of [itex]\mu[/itex] by that?

ehild

Homework Helper

6.02 x 1023?

Do I need to divide the value of [itex]\mu[/itex] by that?
Yes.

ehild

Is the right answer 8.62 x 10-12m?

ehild

Homework Helper

Not yet. 12.34 is the molar mass in grams, so divided by the Avogadro number, you get μ in grams, but you need it in kg-s in the equation.

ehild

2.72 x10-10m?

ehild

Homework Helper

It is OK.

ehild

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses