Unravelling the Separation of 35CI19F Atoms: A Problem Solved

In summary, the problem is finding the equilibrium separation of atoms in a diatomic molecule using the adjacent lines in the pure rotational spectrum. The equation used is I = \mur02, where I is the moment of inertia and r is the distance between the atoms. The emitted or absorbed photon energies differ by ΔE=h2/I, where h is Planck's constant. The mass of the molecule is needed to calculate I, and it can be found by dividing the molar mass by Avogadro's number. The final answer is 2.72 x10-10m.
bmarson123
Problem:
The adjacent lines in the pure rotational spectrum of 35CI19F are separated by a frequency of
1.12 x 1010 Hz. What is the equilibrium separation of the atoms in this molecule?

The attempt at a solution

So, the equation I think I need to use to find the equilibrium separation is I = [itex]\mu[/itex]r02
But I don't know how I can find the inertia,as I don't know how the frequency and inertia are linked?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The emitted or absorbed photon energies differ by ΔE=[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/I. How is the photon energy related to frequency?

I is the moment of inertia of the diatomic molecule: I=r2m1m2/(m1+m2), where r is the distance between the atoms.

ehild

Thank you!

Ok, so I've tried using [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/I

and to find [itex]\Delta[/itex]E, [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = hf

and then just number crunching that all through, using m1 = 35 and m2 = 19,

I get r = 1.1 x 10-6m

Is that right? It seems pretty big?

Yes, does help if I look at my notes properly.

Working that through I get r = 1.1 x 10-23m

Can you show your calculations in detail?

ehild

[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] = h / 2[itex]\pi[/itex] = 1.055 x10-34 Js

[itex]\Delta[/itex]E = hf = h x 1.12 x1010 = 7.4256 x10-24

I = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/[itex]\Delta[/itex]E
= 1.113 x10-68 / 7.4256 x10-24
= 1.520 x 10-45

r = [itex]\sqrt{1.520x10-45/12.314}[/itex]
= 1.1 x10-23m

What is the reduced mass? Did you take it 12.34 kg? Is the mass of a molecule in the range of kg-s?

That's what I've taken it as, yes. I realize now how stupid that is but I don't know how to work out the mass from the numbers. I don't even know what the numbers are next to the elements.

Those numbers are the "molar" masses, the mass of one mole of atoms in gram unit. How many atoms are there in one mole?

ehild

6.02 x 1023?

Do I need to divide the value of [itex]\mu[/itex] by that?

bmarson123 said:
6.02 x 1023?

Do I need to divide the value of [itex]\mu[/itex] by that?

Yes.

ehild

Is the right answer 8.62 x 10-12m?

Not yet. 12.34 is the molar mass in grams, so divided by the Avogadro number, you get μ in grams, but you need it in kg-s in the equation.

ehild

2.72 x10-10m?

It is OK.

ehild

1. What is the significance of the separation of 35CI and 19F atoms?

The separation of 35CI and 19F atoms is significant because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of these two isotopes separately. This can provide valuable insights into their individual properties and reactions, which can have implications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and nuclear physics.

2. How was the problem of separating 35CI and 19F atoms solved?

The problem was solved by using a technique called ion cyclotron resonance (ICR). This technique involves trapping the ions in a magnetic field and then using radio frequency pulses to selectively excite and separate the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. This allows for the separation of 35CI and 19F atoms with high precision and efficiency.

3. Why is it important to separate 35CI and 19F atoms?

Separating 35CI and 19F atoms is important for a variety of reasons. It allows us to study and understand the properties and behavior of these isotopes individually, which can provide insights into various chemical and physical processes. Additionally, it can also have practical applications in fields such as nuclear medicine, where these isotopes are used in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.

4. What are the potential applications of the separation of 35CI and 19F atoms?

The separation of 35CI and 19F atoms has potential applications in various fields. In nuclear medicine, it can be used to produce radiopharmaceuticals for diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment. In chemistry, it can aid in the study of chemical reactions and the development of new materials. It can also have applications in nuclear power generation, where these isotopes can be used as fuel.

5. What are the future implications of this research?

This research has the potential to lead to further advancements in the field of ion cyclotron resonance and its applications. It can also pave the way for new discoveries and developments in fields such as nuclear chemistry and medicine. Additionally, the techniques and methods used in this research can be applied to other isotopes and elements, expanding our understanding and capabilities in the field of nuclear science.