Find Frequency of Molecular Vibration for Melanin, Serotonin, & Insulin

In summary: Joachim-Ernst Berendt. This book discusses how certain sounds have the ability to heal and connect with the subconscious mind. Berendt talks about how he's been able to use music to treat various mental disorders, and how it has the power to connect people with nature. He also has a CD called "Die Welt ist Klang" which has a lot of sounds from nature that can be used for healing.
Dakai
Molecular Vibration...

I'm not sure if this is a Chemistry question or a Physics question. Please take time to correct me if I have posted in the wrong area.

How do you find the frequency which a certain molecule vibrates?

Like Melanin, or Serotonin, or Insulin.

My brother and I are musicians and have long wanted to make the idea of healing with music a reality. The idea is if you can play with the harmonic resonance of a molecule then you can control it with music.

Anybody think they can point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
A molecule composed of many atoms always has several vibrational normal modes that have different frequencies. The normal mode frequencies can be calculated if one knows the geometry of the molecule and the bond strengths (measure of how difficult it is to stretch a chemical bond).

The vibrational frequencies of molecules are many orders of magnitude larger than acoustic frequencies, so there's no point in trying to use sound waves to control molecular vibration. If you want to excite a vibrational mode, you have to expose the molecule to infrared radiation of correct wavelength.

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply.

I am aware that the vibration of molecules is beyond natural hearing, and direct control is not possible through limitations of acoustic instruments. I do believe that those frequencies can be transposed to be understood.

I just need a way get the frequencies so I can. So is there a way to calculate the vibrational frequencies with pen and paper or is this an issue for the laboratory?

I remember a very nice CD "Die Welt ist Klang" (The world is sound) by Joachim-Ernst Berendt where the sounds of all kinds of natural phenomena where played, among them the drumming of pulsars and there was also a section about the harmonic relations in some molecules.
There seems to be an english version, too:
"The World Is Sound: Nada Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness"

1. How is the frequency of molecular vibration measured?

The frequency of molecular vibration is measured using a technique called infrared spectroscopy. This method involves passing infrared light through a sample of the molecule and measuring the absorption of the light. The frequency of molecular vibration is determined by the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed by the molecule.

2. What is the significance of finding the frequency of molecular vibration for melanin, serotonin, and insulin?

The frequency of molecular vibration can provide important insights into the structure and function of these molecules. For example, the frequency of vibration can give information about the strength of chemical bonds, the presence of certain functional groups, and the overall shape of the molecule. This can help in understanding the role of these molecules in biological processes and can also aid in the development of new drugs and treatments.

3. How does the molecular structure affect the frequency of vibration?

The frequency of molecular vibration is directly affected by the structure of the molecule. Different types of bonds, such as single, double, and triple bonds, have different vibrational frequencies. Additionally, the size and shape of the molecule can also influence the frequency of vibration. For example, larger molecules tend to have lower frequencies of vibration compared to smaller molecules.

4. Can the frequency of molecular vibration change?

Yes, the frequency of molecular vibration can change under certain conditions. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can affect the frequency of vibration. In some cases, changes in frequency can also indicate a chemical reaction or interaction between molecules.

5. How can the frequency of molecular vibration be used in medical applications?

The frequency of molecular vibration can be used in medical applications in several ways. For example, it can help in identifying and characterizing different molecules in biological samples, which can aid in the diagnosis of diseases. Additionally, the frequency of vibration can also be targeted by certain drugs to specifically interact with and affect the function of particular molecules in the body.