1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecules from concentration

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    Hey, just wondering if i can get some verification with my answers.
    I need to find the number of molecules from a concentration that is 1.0x10^-22 M of AsCl3 in one mL.

I divided my concentration by 1000mL to get it down to a concentration per mL and multiplied by avogrado's number. My answer is 0.06. However, I'm not sure that's right as the unit should be an integer.

thoughts? i think I'm missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    Hello jen333,

You raise an interesting question.

Your calculation is right. The answer is approximately 0.06 molecules of AsCl3. Ofcourse 0.06 molecuels cannot exist , remember you are working with approximate values here. You can safely say the number is negligible.

If in 1000 ml there are 60 molecules of AsCl3 , then if we take 1 ml of this solution there exists a number of AsCl3 molecules in solution that , statistically speaking, tends towards zero. Ofcourse this might not make sense to you , but in a problem like this , matter cannot be treated as "bulk" but individual particles must be studied. That is , the distribution of such a small number of molecules in a considerably large volume cannot be determined by taking 'average values'. In reality the presence of 0 , 1, 2 ,... or 60 molecules of AsCl3 in 1 ml solution is purely random.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    your calculations look correct but it means that there is much less than 1 molecule per mL. Its the volume of 1mL that gives a number less than 1. The starting concentration is so dilute that it means you would need (1/.06) mL = 16.7 mL to find a molecule of AsCl3

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    [tex] C = 1*10^{-22}Mdm^{-3} [/tex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?