Molecules were held in a state of quantum superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses experiments where atoms and molecules were held in a state of quantum superposition until an observation was made, causing them to leave their indeterminate state. The question is raised whether more complex structures of matter can also exist in a superposition. Some sources and discussions about this topic are provided.
Glenn
I have read about experiments where entire atoms and even whole molecules were held in a state of quantum superposition. It wasn't until an observation was made that these molecules left their indeterminate state. If whole atoms and molecules can exist in quantum superposition, does theory prohibit even more complex structures of matter from existing in a superposition as well?

-Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Glenn
I have read about experiments where entire atoms and even whole molecules were held in a state of quantum superposition. It wasn't until an observation was made that these molecules left their indeterminate state. If whole atoms and molecules can exist in quantum superposition, does theory prohibit even more complex structures of matter from existing in a superposition as well?

-Glenn

As in the other thread this is a sticky subject, but one with a much clearer answer -decoherence, which shows that statiscally why many particle systems do not exhibit quantum behaviour due to the fact that there wavefunctions collapse very quickly.

Yes but one must ask...What is defined as observation? is it when a random wave or electron bumps into the object in question? An experiment performed by a man I believe in India, but please forgive me if I am worng, but he found a way to test for super position by using lasers and inialation (<---sp?), its very good, and I believe you can search under Hardings paradox, or soloution to...

Originally posted by Glenn

-Glenn
Do you have some links about this? Well, I'm very interested in this subject, because long time ago I've discussed with one physics prof. about possibility of that kind superposition, and if you\re righ, I was right :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is a principle in quantum mechanics which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time until it is observed or measured.

2. How does quantum superposition relate to molecules?

In the context of molecules, quantum superposition refers to the idea that the atoms within a molecule can exist in multiple energy states simultaneously. This can have an impact on the properties and behavior of the molecule.

3. How is quantum superposition different from classical physics?

In classical physics, a particle can only exist in one state or location at a time. However, in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time, as described by superposition.

4. Why is quantum superposition important in scientific research?

Quantum superposition plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and molecules at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also essential in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. Can we observe the effects of quantum superposition in everyday life?

While quantum superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, its effects are not easily observable in everyday life. It is most noticeable at the atomic and subatomic level, and its effects are often only observed in controlled laboratory settings.