1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moles in a Cat?

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    I have to approximately figure out, to the nearest order of magnitude, how many moles of atoms there are in a 12 kg cat.You are also told that The masses of a hydrogen atom, an oxygen atom, and a carbon atom are 1.0 u, 16 u, and 12 u. .

all i know is that 1 u=1.66 x 10^-27 kg.
    From here I am unsure where to go.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2
    1 mole contains an Avogadro's amount of atoms (Avogadro's no = 6.022 x 10^23), that should help you a bit.

4. Sep 6, 2004 #3
    Yes I knew that before working on this problem and yet I'm still lost.

5. Sep 6, 2004 #4
    In what proportion are the main ingrediants found in the cat (ie cat's are 80% water). If you know the mass the proportion of the three elements then you should eb able to find number of moles of atoms.

6. Sep 6, 2004 #5
    I have no other information besides what I wrote before.

7. Sep 6, 2004 #6
    Then make some assumptions or do some research. How much water is in a cat? Once you know that you can 'assume' the rest or a portion of the rest is carbon. Once you know how much water is in a cat and the mass of the cat you can easily calculate the moles og H and O. Once you make your assumption about C then you'll be able to calculate the number of C atoms.

8. Sep 8, 2004 #7
    http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto9.html

The above link says: "...Water comprises from about 95 percent of the new-born kitten to about 75 percent of the adult cat..."

So you have H and O....maybe an estimate is in order?

Im having difficulty with the same problem ;-). I PMed you GingerBread27 with a question FYI :-). Best of luck.

9. Sep 8, 2004 #8
    k, i just did the problem myself....follow me...

H= 1.0u
    O= 16.0u
    C= 12.0u

we don't know the age of the kitten so lets say roughtly 80% of the given cat is water

in my version of the problem, my cat is 5 kg....therefore

80% x 5 kg = 4 kg = amount of H20

convert to grams.....(habit from chemistry)

4kg = 4000g

4000gH20 x (1 mol H20/ 18g H20) = 222 mol H20

we have 1 kg of the 'cat' unallocated therefore let the remaining carbon equal the 1 kg

1000gC x (1 mol C / 12g C) = 83.3 mol C

total 'molage' => 222+83 = 305 mol

and i was told by my school online software that this was correct. hope this helps...if i made a mistake i apologize - its 1:40 am! Cheerz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?