Balancing N2O & O2 to Create NO2 - Check Your Answer Here!

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the stoichiometry calculation of a reaction involving 2 moles of N2O and 3 moles of O2 producing 4 moles of NO2. The question asks for the remaining moles of the reactants after the reaction, and the participants debate on which reactant is the limiting one. The conclusion is reached that the limiting reactant is the 8 moles of O2, despite earlier doubts. The conversation also briefly mentions different types of online calculators for chemistry problems.
Jules18

Homework Statement

2 N2O + 3 O2 = 4 NO2

If 6 moles of N2O and 8 moles of O2 react to produce as much NO2 as possible, how many moles of which reactant will remain at the end of the reaction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer, but I don't want to sway anyone so I won't say what it was. I just want to check my answer with someone else's o:) o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The limiting reactant should be the 8 moles of O2.

The way I learned to find out which number of moles is limiting is to divide each number of moles of reactant by the coefficient of the reactant in the balanced equation. The one with the smallest number is the limiting reactant.

i know, right?? that's what I thought but the answer key says the excess is supposed to be O2.
that's why I posted this - I'm pretty sure it's wrong but I needed a second opinion

Jules18 said:
I got an answer, but I don't want to sway anyone so I won't say what it was.

You may safely give your answers, we are not that easy to confuse. But we are easily doubting someone who says so really did anything - way too often lazy students try to play that trick.

--

I'm not a lazy student! How dare you, good sir.

Borek said:
You may safely give your answers, we are not that easy to confuse. But we are easily doubting someone who says so really did anything - way too often lazy students try to play that trick.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

You sir, are a douche.

lol anyways it's fine, Bohrok's answer was enough of a reassurance.

You should trust students on here a little more. Most of the lazy ones don't even bother to look for help. I really, really hate being called lazy, it's a thing.

I have not said YOU are the lazy student. I wrote that we often see people stating "I did it" when they have not. We see it so often we don't believe even when it is a just truth.

--

What is N2O?

N2O is the chemical formula for nitrous oxide, a colorless and odorless gas commonly known as laughing gas.

What is O2?

O2 is the chemical formula for oxygen, a colorless and odorless gas essential for many biological processes and commonly found in the Earth's atmosphere.

What is NO2?

NO2 is the chemical formula for nitrogen dioxide, a reddish-brown gas with a pungent odor that is a major contributor to air pollution.

Why is balancing N2O and O2 important in creating NO2?

Balancing the ratio of N2O and O2 is important in creating NO2 because it ensures the correct formation of the chemical compound and prevents any excess or deficiency of either gas.

How can I check if my answer for balancing N2O and O2 to create NO2 is correct?

You can check your answer by using the law of conservation of mass, which states that the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products. You can also use a chemical equation balancer tool to verify your answer.