Moles of Iron and Copper Lab

In summary, Jen attempted to do a lab from her school days, but had some trouble with the data table. She was able to solve the problems with help from other people on the chat and answered the questions correctly.
JenniferBlanco
Can someone please verify my results? and help me in one-2 questions?

I did this lab in school today and had some problems filling in the table that followed.
In the lab, we took some Copper Chloride and mixed it dionized water. Then we added in an iron nail and waited for about 20 mins. After 20 mins we decanted the water(threw it away) and were left with copper+a lil bit of water which was later dried.
The following is the data I have

Mass of Beaker --> 0.906
Mass of Beaker and Copper Chloride --> 12.44
Mass of Nail before reaction-->1.729
Mass of Nail after reaction-->1.444
Mass of Beaker and dry copper[dry]-->10.345

The questions that followed were to calculate moles and mass.

1>Mass of Copper formed.

For this,it should be 12.44-10.345 =2.095gms

2>Moles of Copper

For this I did 2.095/63.5= .329moles

3>Mass of Iron reacted
1.729-1.444=.285gms4>Moles of Iron
.285/55.8=.005

5>Ratio of moles of Iron to Copper

I guess I screwed up on the calculations or something on the Mass of Iron Reacted which gave me .285 gms. This I feel has screwed my moles of Iron up. I don't know where I am going wrong in this.

If someone can help me out,I would be greatful. I am kinda guessing the mole ration should be 1:1.Jen

Physics news on Phys.org
Can Anyone atleast get me started? :cry:

?Anyone?

Everything looks good, except that your calculation for mass of copper is actually the difference in the weight of copper chloride and formed copper. The answer is correct but that question was not asked.

All of your problems are solved if you can find a weigh to determine the mass of copper.

Copper chloride is not copper.

I messed up on the Mass of the beaker. it should read 9.906 above and not .906

In the end when we dried the copper from the dionized water,I massed it and got 10.345gms for copper.

The mole ration after calculation is a high number and not 1:1 or 2:3. I am sure something is wrong.

Last edited:
Answer the first question!

First Question?

So copper should be =10.345-9.906-->.439gms

Excellent!

Couple that answer with your obvious skill in problem-solving and you are done with this problem!

Now answer #2 and recalculate #5.

1. What is the purpose of the "Moles of Iron and Copper Lab"?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the number of moles of iron and copper in a given sample through various chemical reactions and calculations.

2. How is the number of moles of iron and copper calculated in this lab?

The number of moles of iron and copper is calculated using the mass of the sample, the molar mass of each element, and the stoichiometry of the chemical reactions involved.

3. What equipment is needed for this lab?

The equipment needed for this lab includes a balance, beakers, a Bunsen burner, a crucible, tongs, a watch glass, and various chemicals such as iron(III) chloride and copper(II) sulfate.

4. What safety precautions should be taken during this lab?

Some safety precautions to take during this lab include wearing safety goggles, using tongs when handling hot equipment, and being careful when working with chemicals.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this lab?

Possible sources of error in this lab include incomplete reactions, loss of product during transfer, and inaccurate measurement of mass or volume.