Calculating Moles of O2 Gas at Pressure & Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of moles of O2 gas in a container at a given pressure and volume and temperature. The person is unsure if this is a theoretical question or if it can be calculated. The expert suggests that the data provided can be used to calculate the volume using the ideal gas equation, which is part of the ideal gas theory.
intellpuneet

Homework Statement

what is the number of moles of o2 gas at a pressure of 760 cm of hg in a container of volume 24.63 l at 27 degree c?
i read its answer... now i want to ask is this question theoratical or can be calculated ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

intellpuneet said:
Is this theoratical question or application ?

Please elaborate, no idea what you are asking about.

Borek said:
Please elaborate, no idea what you are asking about.
Done editing

I have still not a slightest idea what you are asking about. For sure volume can be easily calculated from these data, using ideal gas equation which is part of ideal gas theory.

This question is not just theoretical, it can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the number of moles of a gas is equal to the pressure times the volume divided by the gas constant (R) times the temperature. In this case, we have all the necessary information to calculate the number of moles of O2 gas using this equation. Additionally, this calculation can have practical applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

1. How do I calculate the number of moles of O2 gas at a given pressure and volume?

To calculate the number of moles of O2 gas, you can use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure in atmospheres, V is the volume in liters, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L*atm/mol*K), and T is the temperature in Kelvin. Rearrange the equation to solve for n, n = (PV)/(RT). Make sure to convert all units to the correct values before plugging them into the equation.

2. What if I am given the mass of O2 gas instead of the volume?

If you are given the mass of O2 gas, you will need to use the molar mass of O2 (32 g/mol) to convert the mass to moles. The equation is n = m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass in grams, and M is the molar mass in grams/mol. Once you have calculated the number of moles, you can proceed with the ideal gas law equation to find the pressure and volume.

3. Can I use this calculation for any gas, or just O2 gas?

The ideal gas law can be used for any gas, as long as the units are consistent. However, the molar mass and ideal gas constant may differ for different gases. Make sure to use the correct values for the specific gas you are calculating.

4. Is there a specific unit I should use for pressure and volume?

The units for pressure and volume in the ideal gas law equation must be consistent. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), while volume is measured in liters (L). However, if other units are given, make sure to convert them to atm and L before plugging them into the equation.

5. What is the purpose of calculating moles of O2 gas at pressure and volume?

Calculating the number of moles of O2 gas at a given pressure and volume can help determine the amount of gas present in a system. This calculation is useful in various scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics, for understanding the behavior of gases and their interactions with other substances. It can also be used to predict and control the outcomes of chemical reactions and industrial processes that involve gases.