Calculate Acetic Acid Adsorbed by Activated Charcoal

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Hydrous Caperilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Moles
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amount of acetic acid adsorbed per gram of activated charcoal. The question involves adding 3 g of activated charcoal to 50 mL of 0.06N acetic acid solution, and after an hour, filtering the solution and finding the filtrate to have a strength of 0.042N. The conversation goes on to discuss how to calculate the number of moles of acetic acid before and after adsorption, and the definition of molar concentration. It is determined that the volume does not change significantly with the addition of solutes, and the steps to calculate the weight of acetic acid adsorbed are outlined. In the end, the correct answer
Hydrous Caperilla

Homework Statement

(Q.) 3 g of activated charcoal was added to 50 mL of acetic acid solution (0.06N) in a flask. After an hour it was filtered and the strength of the filtrate was found to be 0.042 N. The amount of acetic acid adsorbed (per gram of charcoal) is :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of finding the volume first by using the formulae :N1V1=N2V2 and then get the volume but I realized that finding volume won't help so I am out of ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume doesn't change.

How many moles of the acetic acid before adding the charcoal, how many moles after adsorption?

Likes Hydrous Caperilla
the n factor for acetic acid is 1 so it's molarity will be same (o.o6M). and from the formulae ,we can calulate the moles but I don't know how to calculate moles after adsorption

You have 50 mL of a 0.042 M solution, how do you calculate number of moles in such case?

What is the definition of the molar concentration?

Likes Hydrous Caperilla
Borek said:
You have 50 mL of a 0.042 M solution, how do you calculate number of moles in such case?
Molarity X Volume=0.042 X 0.05

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
The volume doesn't change.

Doesn't volume increase with addition of solutes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydrous Caperilla said:
Doesn't volume increase with addition of solutes

In general you are right, it does. But in most cases change can be neglected.

Please pay attention to what you post, each your post contains unnecessary multiple quotes (I will remove them now). Use "preview" button to see what it will look like. You can also edit your posts for a short period of time.

Likes Hydrous Caperilla
Borek said:
In general you are right, it does. But in most cases change can be neglected.

Please pay attention to what you post, each your post contains unnecessary multiple quotes (I will remove them now). Use "preview" button to see what it will look like. You can also edit your posts for a short period of time.

So I want to post the steps I have understood

Step 1 Before Adsorption

No of moles of acetic acid in the solution=50X0.6=3milli moles(n factor of acetic acid is 1 so Normality=Molarity)

Step 2
No of mole of acetic acid after adsorption=50(volume is not changing which I don't understand)X0.042=2.1 millimoles

Step 3
Moles adsorbed= O.9millimoles

Step 4

Weight of acetic acid=0.9X60/1000=54mg
My textbook gives the answer as 18mg...what did I do wrong now and can you tell me more about when to keep volume constant

Hydrous Caperilla said:
Weight of acetic acid=0.9X60/1000=54mg

That's correct.

Hydrous Caperilla said:
My textbook gives the answer as 18mg

Looks OK.

Hydrous Caperilla said:
what did I do wrong

Reread the question, you have missed something.

Hydrous Caperilla said:
when to keep volume constant

Almost always, only when the concentration changes are huge it really matters.

0.06 M acetic acid contains 3.6 g of acetic acid per liter.
0.042 M acetic acid contains 2.5 g of acetic acid per liter.
The difference is 1.1 g. Imagine removing the acid from the solution - you are removing 1 g from 1000 g, so you can expect volume change in the 0.1% range at best. Negligible.

Likes Hydrous Caperilla
I get it now.
I forgot to divide it by the mass of charcoal so it makes sense now.
Thanks

1. How does activated charcoal adsorb acetic acid?

Activated charcoal has a high surface area due to its porous structure, which allows it to attract and bind molecules such as acetic acid through a process called adsorption. This means that the acetic acid molecules adhere to the surface of the activated charcoal, rather than being absorbed into it.

2. What factors affect the amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal?

The amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal depends on several factors, including the surface area of the charcoal, the concentration and temperature of the acetic acid solution, and the contact time between the charcoal and the solution. Other factors such as pH and the presence of other chemicals can also influence the adsorption process.

3. Is there a specific equation for calculating the amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal?

Yes, there is an equation known as the Langmuir isotherm that is commonly used to calculate the amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal. This equation takes into account the concentration of the acetic acid solution, the surface area of the charcoal, and the maximum adsorption capacity of the charcoal.

4. Can activated charcoal effectively adsorb all types of acids?

No, activated charcoal is more effective at adsorbing certain types of acids, such as organic acids like acetic acid, compared to others. This is because different types of acids have different chemical properties and may not bind as well to the surface of the charcoal.

5. How can the amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal be determined experimentally?

The amount of acetic acid adsorbed by activated charcoal can be determined by conducting experiments in which the charcoal is exposed to known concentrations of acetic acid solutions for a set amount of time. The amount of acetic acid remaining in the solution can then be measured and used to calculate the amount adsorbed by the charcoal. This can also be compared to a control experiment without the charcoal to determine the effectiveness of the adsorption process.